Psychotropic drug use among Icelandic children: a nationwide population-based study
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Almarsdottir, Anna Birna
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2009, 19(6):757-64
AbstractOBJECTIVE: The aim of this study was to investigate psychotropic drug use among children in Iceland between 2003 and 2007. METHODS: A nationwide population-based drug use study covering the total pediatric population (ages 0-17) in Iceland. Information was obtained from the National Medicines Registry to calculate prevalence of use by year and psychotropic drug group; incidence by year, psychotropic drug group, child's age and sex, and medical specialty of prescriber; the most commonly used psychotropic chemical substances, off-label and unlicensed use and concomitant psychotropic drug use. RESULTS: The overall prevalence of psychotropic drug use was 48.7 per 1000 Icelandic children in 2007. Stimulants and antidepressants increased in prevalence from 2003 to 2007 and were the two most prevalent psychotropic drug groups, respectively, 28.4 and 23.4 per 1000 children in 2007. A statistically significant trend of declining prevalence (p = 0.00013) and incidence (p = 0.0018) of antidepressant use occurred during the study period. Out of 21,986 psychotropic drugs dispensed in 2007, 25.4% were used off-label. CONCLUSIONS: With reference to reports from other European countries, the results indicate extensive psychotropic drug use among children in Iceland between 2003 and 2007. Further scrutiny is needed to assess the rationale behind this widespread use.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- [Use of methylphenidate among children in Iceland 1989-2006].
- Authors: Zoëga H, Baldursson G, Halldórsson M
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- [Off-label use of psychotropic medications in pediatric wards: a prospective study].
- Authors: Winterfeld U, Le Heuzey MF, Acquaviva E, Mouren MC, Brion F, Bourdon O
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- [Prevalence of psychotropic drug use among elderly Icelanders living at home].
- Authors: Samuelsson O, Zoega H, Gudmundsson A, Halldorsson M
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Off-label psychotropic prescribing for young persons in medium security.
- Authors: Haw C, Stubbs J
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- Paediatric drug use with focus on off-label prescriptions in Swedish outpatient care--a nationwide study.
- Authors: Olsson J, Kimland E, Pettersson S, Odlind V
- Issue date: 2011 Sep