Does smoking stimulate rheumatoid factor production in non-rheumatic individuals?
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAPMIS 1998, 106(10):970-4
AbstractSmoking has been associated with increased incidence of rheumatoid arthritis (RA), joint damage and positive rheumatoid factor (RF). Here we report an analysis of the association between smoking and IgM, IgG and IgA RF in a cohort of non-rheumatic individuals participating in a prospective longitudinal study of the incidence and significance of elevated RF. From the initial cohort of nearly 14,000 randomly selected individuals aged 52-80 years, 109 RF-positive and 187 RF-negative non-rheumatic participants were recruited. All participants were tested for RF at least twice at an interval ranging from 4 to 13 years. Of the RF-negative participants 21.9% were active smokers compared to 34.1% of IgM RF-positive (p=0.035), 20.8% of IgG RF-positive (N.S.) and 34.4% of IgA RF-positive participants (p=0.047). Smoking was most prevalent (44.8%) amongst participants with elevation of both IgM and IgA RF (p=0.008), and smokers were also significantly more likely to have a persistent elevation of RF than non-smokers (p=0.024). These findings indicate that smoking may influence the immune system, leading to increased production of IgM and IgA RF.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Routine measurement of IgM, IgG, and IgA rheumatoid factors: high sensitivity, specificity, and predictive value for rheumatoid arthritis.
- Authors: Swedler W, Wallman J, Froelich CJ, Teodorescu M
- Issue date: 1997 Jun
- Population study of the importance of rheumatoid factor isotypes in adults.
- Authors: Jónsson T, Thorsteinsson J, Kolbeinsson A, Jónasdóttir E, Sigfússon N, Valdimarsson H
- Issue date: 1992 Jul
- The effects of tobacco smoking and rheumatoid factor seropositivity on disease activity and joint damage in early rheumatoid arthritis.
- Authors: Manfredsdottir VF, Vikingsdottir T, Jonsson T, Geirsson AJ, Kjartansson O, Heimisdottir M, Sigurdardottir SL, Valdimarsson H, Vikingsson A
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Effects of gold therapy on the synthesis and quantity of serum and synovial fluid IgM, IgG, and IgA rheumatoid factors in rheumatoid arthritis patients.
- Authors: Hanly JG, Hassan J, Whelan A, Feighery C, Bresnihan B
- Issue date: 1986 Apr
- Quantification of cross-reactive idiotype-positive rheumatoid factor produced in autoimmune rheumatic diseases. An indicator of clonality and B cell proliferative mechanisms.
- Authors: Shokri F, Mageed RA, Kitas GD, Katsikis P, Moutsopoulos HM, Jefferis R
- Issue date: 1991 Jul