Declining coronary heart disease mortality in Iceland: contribution by incidence, recurrence and case fatality rate
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Gudmundsdottir, Inga Ingibjorg
MetadataShow full item record
CitationScand. Cardiovasc. J. 2002, 36(6):337-41
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To analyse to what extent the recent decline in coronary heart disease mortality in Iceland is due to changes in incidence, recurrence and case fatality rates. DESIGN: A countrywide registration of myocardial infarction (MI) in people aged 25-74 was performed in Iceland during 1981-1999 according to the MONICA protocol. Possible cases were found by review of all hospital discharge records, autopsy records and death certificates. RESULTS: MI death rate declined by 63% in males and 51% in females, most in the youngest age groups in men (86%) and least in the oldest (49%). In women there was not a significant difference in age groups. Overall the age-adjusted reduction in MI death rate was 55.4% in both sexes combined; of this 23.1% was due to incidence reduction, 22.8% to recurrence reduction and 11.6% to case fatality reduction. In the youngest age groups the decline in incidence contributed most to the decline in MI death rate (62% in men and 71% in women), but thereafter the decline in case fatality in men. In the older age groups decline in recurrence rate has greater weight. CONCLUSION: The recent decline in MI mortality under the age of 75 years in Iceland is due to reduction in incidence and recurrence rate by about 40% each and to reduction in case fatality by 20%.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- [Recent time trends of myocardial infarction rates in northern Italy. Results from the MONICA and CAMUNI registries in Brianza: 1993-1994 versus 1997-1998].
- Authors: Ferrario MM, Fornari C, Bolognesi L, Gussoni MT, Benedetti M, Sega R, Borchini R, Cesana G, Gruppo di Ricerca MONICA-CAMUNI in Brianza.
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- Trends in the incidence of acute myocardial infarction between 1984 and 1993 - The Halifax County MONICA Project.
- Authors: Bata IR, Gregor RD, Eastwood BJ, Wolf HK
- Issue date: 2000 May
- Trends in acute myocardial infarction mortality and morbidity from 1979 to 2001 in the City of Zagreb, Croatia.
- Authors: Heim I, Jembrek-Gostovic M, Kern J, Jonke V, Svetina M
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Attack rate, mortality and case fatality for acute myocardial infarction in Sweden during 1987-95. Results from the national AMI register in Sweden.
- Authors: Rosén M, Alfredsson L, Hammar N, Kahan T, Spetz CL, Ysberg AS
- Issue date: 2000 Aug
- Stroke in Northern Sweden.
- Authors: Stegmayr B, Asplund K
- Issue date: 2003