Dietary fish oil supplementation increases survival in mice following Klebsiella pneumoniae infection
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationScand. J. Infect. Dis.1997, 29(5):491-3
AbstractThe effect of dietary fish-oil supplementation on survival of NMRI mice after Klebsiella pneumoniae infection was investigated. 30 mice in each group were fed a fish-oil enriched diet, olive-oil enriched diet or standard chow diet. After 6 weeks, the mice were injected intramuscularly with Klebsiella pneumoniae. After 120 h the survival of the mice fed fish-oil enriched diet was 40%, while the survival for mice fed standard or olive-oil enriched diets was 20% and 25%, respectively. The survival curve over 120 h was significantly improved (p = 0.0034) for mice fed a fish-oil enriched diet, compared to the survival curves for mice fed the other 2 diets. The study was repeated by comparing the survival of mice fed a fish-oil enriched diet to those given a corn-oil enriched diet. After 120 h the survival curve for mice fed the fish-oil enriched diet was significantly better compared to the survival curve for mice given the corn-oil enriched diet (p = 0.01). A fish-oil enriched diet therefore increases survival in mice following Klebsiella pneumoniae infection, whether compared to a standard diet, olive-oil enriched diet or corn-oil enriched diet.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- The effect of dietary fish oil on survival after infection with Klebsiella pneumoniae or Streptococcus pneumoniae.
- Authors: Thors VS, Thórisdóttir A, Erlendsdóttir H, Einarsson I, Gudmundsson S, Gunnarsson E, Haraldsson A
- Issue date: 2004
- [Dietary fish-oil supplementation increases survival in mice following Klebsiella pneumoniae infection.].
- Authors: Bjornsson S, Hardardottir I, Gunnarsson E, Haraldsson A
- Issue date: 1997 May
- Differential effect of high dietary iron on alpha-tocopherol and retinol levels in the liver and serum of mice fed olive oil- and corn oil-enriched diets.
- Authors: Domitrović R, Tota M, Milin C
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Dietary fish oil reduces survival and impairs bacterial clearance in C3H/Hen mice challenged with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Authors: Fritsche KL, Shahbazian LM, Feng C, Berg JN
- Issue date: 1997 Jan
- [Effect of dietary fish-oil on survival of experimental animals after infection with Streptococcus pneumoniae or Klebsiella pneumoniae.].
- Authors: Thors VS, Thornórisdóttir A, Erlendsdóttir H, Harðardóttir I, Einarsson I, Guðmundsson S, Gunnarsson E, Haraldsson A
- Issue date: 2002 Feb