Comparison of NCEP performance specifications for triglycerides, HDL-, and LDL-cholesterol with operating specifications based on NCEP clinical and analytical goals
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationClin. Chem. 1997, 43(11):2164-8
AbstractThe National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) performance specifications for methods that measure triglycerides, HDL-cholesterol, and LDL-cholesterol have been evaluated by deriving operating specifications from the NCEP analytical total error requirements and the clinical requirements for interpretation of the tests. We determined the maximum imprecision and inaccuracy that would be allowable to control routine methods with commonly used single and multirule quality-control procedures having 2 and 4 control measurements per run, and then compared these estimates with the NCEP guidelines. The NCEP imprecision specifications meet the operating imprecision necessary to assure meeting the NCEP clinical quality requirements for triglycerides and HDL-cholesterol but not for LDL-cholesterol. More importantly, the NCEP imprecision specifications are not adequate to assure meeting the NCEP analytical total error requirements for any of these three tests. Our findings indicate that the NCEP recommendations fail to adequately consider the quality-control requirements necessary to detect medically important systematic errors.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Assessment of current National Cholesterol Education Program guidelines for total cholesterol triglyceride, HDL-cholesterol, and LDL-cholesterol measurements.
- Authors: Caudill SP, Cooper GR, Smith SJ, Myers GL
- Issue date: 1998 Aug
- Laboratory process specifications for assuring quality in the U.S. National Cholesterol Education Program.
- Authors: Westgard JO, Petersen PH, Wiebe DA
- Issue date: 1991 May
- Cholesterol operational process specifications for assuring the quality required by CLIA proficiency testing.
- Authors: Westgard JO, Wiebe DA
- Issue date: 1991 Nov
- European specifications for imprecision and inaccuracy compared with operating specifications that assure the quality required by US CLIA proficiency-testing criteria.
- Authors: Westgard JO, Seehafer JJ, Barry PL
- Issue date: 1994 Jul
- Adequacy of NCEP recommendations for total cholesterol, triglycerides, HDLC, and LDLC measurements.
- Authors: Caudill SP, Smith SJ, Cooper GR, Myers GL
- Issue date: 1998 May