Mapping of a familial essential tremor gene, FET1, to chromosome 3q13.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsGulcher, J R
Frigge, M L
Einarsdottir, I E
Einarsdottir, A S
Hrafnkelsdottir, S M
MetadataShow full item record
CitationNat. Genet. 1997, 17(1):84-7
AbstractEssential tremor (ET), the most common movement disorder in humans, appears to be inherited as an autosomal dominant trait in many families. The familial form is called familial essential tremor (FET), which seems similar to sporadic essential tremor. ET is a cause of substantial disability, particularly in the elderly. The prevalence of Parkinson's disease and dystonia may be increased in families with ET, but other movement disorders are seldom encountered in these families. Here we report the results of a genome-wide scan for FET genes in 16 Icelandic families with 75 affected individuals, in whom FET was apparently inherited as a dominant trait. The scan, which was performed with a 10-cM framework map, revealed one locus on chromosome 3q13 to which FET mapped with a genome-wide significance when the data were analysed either parametrically, assuming an autosomal dominant model (lod score = 3.71), or non-parametrically (NPL Z score = 4.70, p < 6.4 x 10(-6).
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Evidence that a gene for essential tremor maps to chromosome 2p in four families.
- Authors: Higgins JJ, Loveless JM, Jankovic J, Patel PI
- Issue date: 1998 Nov
- A genome-wide scan for coronary heart disease suggests in Indo-Mauritians a susceptibility locus on chromosome 16p13 and replicates linkage with the metabolic syndrome on 3q27.
- Authors: Francke S, Manraj M, Lacquemant C, Lecoeur C, Leprêtre F, Passa P, Hebe A, Corset L, Yan SL, Lahmidi S, Jankee S, Gunness TK, Ramjuttun US, Balgobin V, Dina C, Froguel P
- Issue date: 2001 Nov 15
- Linkage genome scan for loci predisposing to panic disorder or agoraphobia.
- Authors: Gelernter J, Bonvicini K, Page G, Woods SW, Goddard AW, Kruger S, Pauls DL, Goodson S
- Issue date: 2001 Aug 8
- [Molecular genetic analysis of essential tremor].
- Authors: Illarioshkin SN, Rakhmonov RA, Ivanova-Smolenskaia IA, Brice A, Markova ED, Miklina NI, Kliushnikov SA, Limborskaia SA
- Issue date: 2002 Dec
- Linkage analysis with chromosome 9 markers in hereditary essential tremor.
- Authors: Conway D, Bain PG, Warner TT, Davis MB, Findley LJ, Thompson PD, Marsden CD, Harding AE
- Issue date: 1993 Jul