Postantibiotic effects with Bacteroides fragilis determined by viable counts and CO2 generation
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationClin. Microbiol. Infect. 1997, 3(1):82-88
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To study the postantibiotic effect (PAE) for Bacteroides fragilis after exposure to common anaerobic antimicrobials with two different methods, by viable counting and by measuring CO2 generation in a BACTEC(R) blood culture system. METHODS: Four strains of B. fragilis were exposed for 1, 2 and 4 h to cefoxitin, chloramphenicol, clindamycin, imipenem or metronidazole at concentrations from 1 to 16 x MIC. The drugs were removed by dilution into BACTEC 7A(R) vials and growth determined with viability counts and CO2 production. RESULTS: The durations of the PAEs determined by the two methods correlated well (r=0.913, p<0.005). PAEs of up to 4-5 h were induced by imipenem and metronidazole with achievable concentrations and exposure durations. Chloramphenicol induced short or no PAEs, but cefoxitin and clindamycin induced PAEs up to 2 h with high AUC values. The imipenem PAEs and the short cefoxitin and clindamycin PAEs were dependent on AUC. CONCLUSIONS: Significant PAEs against B. fragilis were induced by imipenem and metronidazole. Determining PAE by measuring CO2 production is an accurate and less time-consuming alternative to the conventional method of viable counts.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Comparative susceptibility of the Bacteroides fragilis group species and other anaerobic bacteria to meropenem, imipenem, piperacillin, cefoxitin, ampicillin/sulbactam, clindamycin and metronidazole.
- Authors: Goldstein EJ, Citron DM, Cherubin CE, Hillier SL
- Issue date: 1993 Mar
- Resistance trends of Bacteroides fragilis group over an 8-year period, 1997-2004, in Korea.
- Authors: Roh KH, Kim S, Kim CK, Yum JH, Kim MS, Yong D, Lee K, Kim JM, Chong Y
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Post-antibiotic effect in Bacteroides fragilis group.
- Authors: Siverhus DJ, Edmiston CE Jr, Clausz JC, Goheen MP
- Issue date: 1988 Jul-Aug
- In vitro postantibiotic effect of imipenem and enoxacin alone and in combination against Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Authors: Hostacká A
- Issue date: 1997 Jul
- Quantitation of postantibiotic effect by measuring CO2 generation of bacteria with the BACTEC blood culture system.
- Authors: Gottfredsson M, Erlendsdottir H, Gudmundsson S
- Issue date: 1991 Dec