Oral contraceptives and risk of breast cancer. A historical prospective case-control study
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationActa Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1996, 75(2):157-61
AbstractBACKGROUND: The goal of this study is to quantify the risk of breast cancer related to use of oral contraceptives while adjusting for known risk factors, e.g. age at first delivery, number of children, and family history, as well as minimising memory bias. METHODS: A historical prospective study design was used. Data collected over a period of 25 years in the screening program of a cancer detection clinic for women aged 25-69 years were utilised. Information on breast cancer among those attending the screening program was searched for in the national cancer registry. Women with breast cancer were matched on date of birth with on average 5.3 control women who were still alive when the diagnosis was made. Mothers and sisters of cases and controls were identified through a national genealogy registry. RESULTS: The odds ratio of developing breast cancer among women with a first degree relative with breast cancer was about 2, but for those ever using oral contraceptives it was 0.92 and even lower (0.50-0.75) if the cancer was diagnosed before the age of 45 years. CONCLUSIONS: Use of oral contraceptives (OC) does not seem to increase the risk of developing breast cancer among women in Iceland.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Breast cancer among young U.S. women in relation to oral contraceptive use.
- Authors: White E, Malone KE, Weiss NS, Daling JR
- Issue date: 1994 Apr 6
- Oral contraceptives and breast cancer risk in Taiwan, a country of low incidence of breast cancer and low use of oral contraceptives.
- Authors: Chie WC, Li CY, Huang CS, Chang KJ, Yen ML, Lin RS
- Issue date: 1998 Jul 17
- Oral contraceptives and risk of breast cancer in women aged 20-54 years. Netherlands Oral Contraceptives and Breast Cancer Study Group.
- Authors: Rookus MA, van Leeuwen FE
- Issue date: 1994 Sep 24
- Breast-cancer risk and oral contraceptive use in Slovenian women aged 25 to 54.
- Authors: Primic-Zakelj M, Evstifeeva T, Ravnihar B, Boyle P
- Issue date: 1995 Aug 9
- Oral contraceptives and breast cancer: a cooperative Italian study.
- Authors: La Vecchia C, Negri E, Franceschi S, Talamini R, Amadori D, Filiberti R, Conti E, Montella M, Veronesi A, Parazzini F
- Issue date: 1995 Jan 17