TP53 mutation analyses on breast carcinomas: a study of paraffin-embedded archival material.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Jonasson, J G
Agnarsson, B A
Eyfjord, J E
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBr. J. Cancer. 1996, 74(4):555-61
AbstractThe aim of this investigation was to examine the possibility of analysing TP53 mutations in archival paraffin-embedded material with the constant denaturant gel electrophoresis (CDGE) method. We extracted DNA from 193 archival primary breast carcinoma samples, diagnosed in 1981-83; further analysis was possible for 186 of these. TP53 mutations in exons 5-8 were detected with CDGE in 30 samples (16.1%) and 17 of these mutations were confirmed by sequencing. Immunohistochemistry demonstrated TP53 nuclear accumulation in 58 tumours (31%). A strong association between the presence of TP53 mutations and TP53 immunostaining was observed (P < 0.001). Our mutation and immunohistochemistry results are in agreement with other findings based on fresh tumour tissue. TP53 abnormalities were significantly related to high S-phase fraction, low oestrogen receptor (ER) content and high tumour grade. Survival of patients with TP53 abnormalities, in the group as a whole, did not differ from patients with normal TP53. Our study did, however, show that patients with abnormal TP53 had a significantly shorter post-recurrence survival (P = 0.005) than patients with normal TP53.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Prognostic significance of TP53 alterations in breast carcinoma.
- Authors: Andersen TI, Holm R, Nesland JM, Heimdal KR, Ottestad L, Børresen AL
- Issue date: 1993 Sep
- p53 mutations and histological type of invasive breast carcinoma.
- Authors: Marchetti A, Buttitta F, Pellegrini S, Campani D, Diella F, Cecchetti D, Callahan R, Bistocchi M
- Issue date: 1993 Oct 1
- TP53 alterations in atypical ductal hyperplasia and ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast.
- Authors: Chitemerere M, Andersen TI, Holm R, Karlsen F, Børresen AL, Nesland JM
- Issue date: 1996
- Nuclear accumulation of p53 protein correlates with mutations in the p53 gene on archival paraffin-embedded tissues of human breast cancer.
- Authors: Umekita Y, Kobayashi K, Saheki T, Yoshida H
- Issue date: 1994 Aug
- TP53 mutations and abnormal p53 protein staining in breast carcinomas related to prognosis.
- Authors: Thorlacius S, Thorgilsson B, Björnsson J, Tryggvadottir L, Börresen AL, Ogmundsdottir HM, Eyfjörd JE
- Issue date: 1995 Oct