High prevalence of the 999del5 mutation in icelandic breast and ovarian cancer patients
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Bergthorsson, J T
Agnarsson, B A
Johannsson, O T
Easton, D F
Barkardottir, R B
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCancer Res. 1996, 56(16):3663-5
AbstractStudies on Icelandic breast cancer families have shown that most of them segregate a 999del5 BRCA2 mutation. Here, we report the frequency of the 999del5 BRCA2 mutation in an Icelandic control population and four different groups of cancer patients diagnosed with (a) breast cancer; (b) ovarian cancer; (c) prostate cancer (patients younger than 65 years); and (d) other cancer types. The proportions of individuals carrying the mutation were 0.4% in the control population and in the patient groups 8.5%, 7.9%, 2.7%, and 1.0%, respectively. Our results indicate that BRCA2 confers a very high risk of breast cancer and is responsible for a substantial fraction of breast and ovarian cancer in Iceland, but only a small proportion of other cancers.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- A common mutation in BRCA2 that predisposes to a variety of cancers is found in both Jewish Ashkenazi and non-Jewish individuals.
- Authors: Berman DB, Costalas J, Schultz DC, Grana G, Daly M, Godwin AK
- Issue date: 1996 Aug 1
- High frequency of recurrent mutations in BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes in Polish families with breast and ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Grzybowska E, Zientek H, Jasinska A, Rusin M, Kozlowski P, Sobczak K, Sikorska A, Kwiatkowska E, Gorniak L, Kalinowska E, Utracka-Hutka B, Wloch J, Chmielik E, Krzyzosiak WJ
- Issue date: 2000 Dec
- BRCA2 mutations in primary breast and ovarian cancers.
- Authors: Lancaster JM, Wooster R, Mangion J, Phelan CM, Cochran C, Gumbs C, Seal S, Barfoot R, Collins N, Bignell G, Patel S, Hamoudi R, Larsson C, Wiseman RW, Berchuck A, Iglehart JD, Marks JR, Ashworth A, Stratton MR, Futreal PA
- Issue date: 1996 Jun
- A high occurrence of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations among Czech hereditary breast and breast-ovarian cancer families.
- Authors: Machácková E, Foretová L, Navrátilová M, Valík D, Claes K, Messiaen L
- Issue date: 2000 Oct 11
- Haplotype analysis in Icelandic and Finnish BRCA2 999del5 breast cancer families.
- Authors: Barkardottir RB, Sarantaus L, Arason A, Vehmanen P, Bendahl PO, Kainu T, Syrjäkoski K, Krahe R, Huusko P, Pyrhönen S, Holli K, Kallioniemi OP, Egilsson V, Kere J, Nevanlinna H
- Issue date: 2001 Oct