Clinical experience of urine D-arabinitol/L-arabinitol ratio in the early diagnosis of invasive candidiasis in paediatric high risk populations
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationScand. J. Infect. Dis. 2007, 39(2):146-51
AbstractIn 2 prospective studies, we previously reported on the early and accurate diagnosis of invasive candidiasis by determining the D-arabinitol/L-arabinitol (DA/LA) ratio in urine in neutropenic children with cancer at the paediatric oncology unit (POU) and in premature infants at the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) at our hospital. In this retrospective study at the same units, we report how the DA/LA assay was implemented in clinical practice immediately after the prospective study periods. We found that, in the POU, the recommendation of regularly monitoring urine DA/LA ratios in patients at risk and considering antifungal therapy in the case of elevated ratios had been followed. A significant decrease in the incidence of culture positive invasive candidiasis may have been attributed to the introduction of the DA/LA assay. At the NICU, where the DA/LA assay was recommended only as an adjunct to other diagnostic tools, morbidity in invasive candidiasis remained unchanged. While regular monitoring of the urine DA/LA ratio probably facilitates the early detection of invasive candidiasis in paediatric oncology, it remains to be determined if the test can be used in a similar way in neonatal intensive care.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Urine D-arabinitol/L-arabinitol ratio in diagnosis of invasive candidiasis in newborn infants.
- Authors: Sigmundsdóttir G, Christensson B, Björklund LJ, Håkansson K, Pehrson C, Larsson L
- Issue date: 2000 Aug
- Diagnosis of invasive candidiasis in neutropenic children with cancer by determination of D-arabinitol/L-arabinitol ratios in urine.
- Authors: Christensson B, Wiebe T, Pehrson C, Larsson L
- Issue date: 1997 Mar
- Urine D-arabinitol/L-arabinitol ratio in diagnosing Candida infection in patients with haematological malignancy and HIV infection.
- Authors: Eisen DP, Bartley PB, Hope W, Sigmundsdottir G, Pehrson C, Larsson L, Christensson B
- Issue date: 2002 Jan
- Diagnosis and monitoring of disseminated candidiasis based on serum/urine D/L-arabinitol ratios.
- Authors: Roboz J
- Issue date: 1994
- Development and application of a rapid diagnostic method for invasive Candidiasis by the detection of D-/L-arabinitol using gas chromatography/mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Hui M, Cheung SW, Chin ML, Chu KC, Chan RC, Cheng AF
- Issue date: 2004 Jun