Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationActa Ophthalmol Scand. 1997, 75(3):249-54
AbstractTen years after the foundation of a national diabetic eye screening program in 1980, we have established a low prevalence of blindness and partial sight in type 1 and type 2 diabetics in Iceland. We ask whether the screening program is also associated with a low incidence of blindness in diabetics. We now report the results of a prospective study on the 4-year incidence of diabetic retinopathy and visual impairment in type 1 diabetics with age at onset less than 30 years. Out of 205 patients participating at baseline, 175 patients (85.4%) participated over the full 4-year period. Patients were examined annually and received laser treatment according to Diabetic- and Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study criteria. The 4-year incidence of any retinopathy was 38.1%, of proliferative retinopathy 6.6%, and of macular edema 3.4%. Out of 174 patients, 7.4% showed improvement in visual acuity of 2 Snellen lines while 2.5% experienced worsening of visual acuity of 2 Snellen lines during the 4-year period. No diabetic suffered more than 2 lines deterioration of vision and none became legally blind. The incidence of retinopathy in Icelandic type 1 diabetics participating in our annual eye screening program is low and the visual acuity stable. Our results suggest that visual impairment in diabetics can be prevented with active regular screening and standard laser therapy.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Diabetic retinopathy. Screening and prevention of blindness. A doctoral thesis.
- Authors: Kristinsson JK
- Issue date: 1997
- Systematic screening for diabetic eye disease in insulin dependent diabetes.
- Authors: Kristinsson JK, Stefánsson E, Jónasson F, Gíslason I, Björnsson S
- Issue date: 1994 Feb
- The five-year incidence of blindness after introducing a screening programme for early detection of treatable diabetic retinopathy.
- Authors: Agardh E, Agardh CD, Hansson-Lundblad C
- Issue date: 1993 Jul
- Blood pressure control for diabetic retinopathy.
- Authors: Do DV, Wang X, Vedula SS, Marrone M, Sleilati G, Hawkins BS, Frank RN
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 31
- Incidence of blindness and visual impairment in diabetic patients participating in an ophthalmological control and screening programme.
- Authors: Henricsson M, Tyrberg M, Heijl A, Janzon L
- Issue date: 1996 Dec