Raised IgA rheumatoid factor (RF) but not IgM RF or IgG RF is associated with extra-articular manifestations in rheumatoid arthritis
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Geirsson, A J
MetadataShow full item record
CitationScand. J. Rheumatol. 1995, 24(6):372-5
AbstractIn rheumatoid arthritis (RA) seropositivity has been associated with poor prognosis including bone erosions and extra-articular manifestations. However, findings have been conflicting on the association between individual rheumatoid factor (RF) isotypes and extra-articular manifestations. In this study the occurrence of extra-articular manifestations was examined in the context of the RF isotype patterns rather than individual RF isotypes. IgM, IgG and IgA RF was measured by ELISA in 74 patients with RA and the findings correlated with the presence or absence of extra-articular manifestations. Of the IgA RF positive patients 80% had one or more extra-articular manifestations. In contrast, only 21% of patients with raised IgM and/or IgG RF but normal IgA RF had some extra-articular manifestations and 27% of the seronegative patients. It is concluded that the previously reported association between raised RF and extra-articular manifestations in RA can largely be attributed to the IgA RF isotype.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- IgA isotype rheumatoid factor in rheumatoid arthritis: clinical implications.
- Authors: Jorgensen C, Legouffe MC, Bologna C, Brochier J, Sany J
- Issue date: 1996 May-Jun
- Effects of rheumatoid factor isotypes on disease activity and severity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a comparative study.
- Authors: Ateş A, Kinikli G, Turgay M, Akay G, Tokgöz G
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- Rheumatoid factor isotype and Ro epitope distribution in primary Sjögren syndrome and rheumatoid arthritis with keratoconjunctivitis sicca.
- Authors: Meek B, Kelder JC, Claessen AME, van Houte AJ, Ter Borg EJ
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- Anti-agalactosyl IgG antibodies and isotype profiles of rheumatoid factors in Sjögren's syndrome and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Authors: Ichikawa Y, Yamada C, Horiki T, Hoshina Y, Uchiyama M, Yamada Y, Toumatu J
- Issue date: 1998 Nov-Dec
- Anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide-2 (CCP2) autoantibodies and extra-articular manifestations in Greek patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Authors: Alexiou I, Germenis A, Koutroumpas A, Kontogianni A, Theodoridou K, Sakkas LI
- Issue date: 2008 Apr