Phase II study of palliative low-dose local radiotherapy in disseminated indolent non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukemia
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationInt. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 2002, 54(5):1466-70
AbstractPURPOSE: Indolent non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (INHL) and chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) are highly sensitive to radiotherapy (RT). Previous retrospective studies have shown high response rates after local palliative RT of 4 Gy in 2 fractions, which prompted this prospective Phase II trial of the palliative effect of this regimen in patients with disseminated INHL or CLL. METHODS AND MATERIALS: Twenty-two patients (11 men, 11 women, median age 62 years, range 30-89) with disseminated INHL (n = 15) or CLL (n = 7) were treated with local low-dose RT, 2 Gy x 2 within 3 days, with the aim of achieving palliation from localized lymphoma masses. The patients were treated to a total of 31 different sites. Seventeen patients had previously been treated with chemotherapy. The median observation time after the start of RT was 8 months (range 3-26). RESULTS: All patients and all irradiated sites were assessable for response. Of the 22 patients, 18 responded to the treatment, corresponding to an overall response rate (RR) of 82%; 12 patients (55%) achieved a complete response (CR), 5 patients (22%) a partial response (PR), and 1 patient had a CR at three sites and a PR at one site. Of the 31 irradiated sites, 27 responded to treatment, corresponding to an overall RR of 87%; in 20 sites (65%) a CR was achieved and in 7 sites (22%) a PR. Patients with disseminated INHL had an overall RR of 87% (74% CR, 13% PR); patients with CLL had an overall RR of 71% (29% CR, 42% PR). The median duration of response was estimated at 22 months. None of the patients had significant side effects from the treatment. CONCLUSION: Low-dose RT (4 Gy in 2 fractions) is a highly effective palliative treatment of localized lymphoma masses in patients with disseminated INHL and CLL. The treatment has minimal side effects.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Palliation by low-dose local radiation therapy for indolent non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Authors: Chan EK, Fung S, Gospodarowicz M, Hodgson D, Wells W, Sun A, Pintile M, Tsang RW
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 1
- Rituximab: a review of its use in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukaemia.
- Authors: Plosker GL, Figgitt DP
- Issue date: 2003
- Low-dose radiotherapy in indolent lymphoma.
- Authors: Rossier C, Schick U, Miralbell R, Mirimanoff RO, Weber DC, Ozsahin M
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 1
- A phase I/II study examining pentostatin, chlorambucil, and theophylline in patients with relapsed chronic lymphocytic leukemia and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Willis CR, Goodrich A, Park K, Waselenko JK, Lucas M, Reese A, Diehl LF, Grever MR, Byrd JC, Flinn IW
- Issue date: 2006 May
- Feasibility of total body irradiation in chronic lymphocytic leukemia and low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas.
- Authors: Roncadin M, Arcicasa M, Bortolus R, Trovó MG, Carbone A, Tirelli U, De Paoli A, Franchin G, Grigoletto E
- Issue date: 1991