Chronic open-angle glaucoma and associated ophthalmic findings in monozygotic twins and their spouses in Iceland
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ. Glaucoma. 1999, 8(2):134-9
ÚtdrátturPURPOSE: To determine the concordance of glaucoma and ocular parameters in monozygotic twins and their spouses. METHODS: This was a prospective study that included 50 twin pairs 55 years of age or older and 47 of their spouses. Zygosity was determined by genetic laboratory testing. RESULTS: The concordance of open-angle glaucoma in monozygotic twin pairs was 98.0%, which significantly exceeded that of twin/spouse pairs (70.2%). There was a significant association in mean intraocular pressure (IOP), mean axial length, anterior chamber depth, and refractive error in the twin pairs. However, there was no association between the twins and their spouses for these ocular parameters. Eight twin pairs were found to have pseudoexfoliation syndrome (PXFS), five of which were concordant. There was no association between glaucoma and mean axial length or glaucoma and refractive error in the twin pairs studied. CONCLUSION: The statistically significant higher concordance of glaucoma--and the high correlation of mean IOP, mean axial length, anterior chamber depth, and refractive error--in twin pairs and the lack of association of these factors in twin/spouse pairs strongly suggests the importance of genetic factors for these ocular parameters.
Lu00FDsingTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Heritability of refractive error and ocular biometrics: the Genes in Myopia (GEM) twin study.
- Authors: Dirani M, Chamberlain M, Shekar SN, Islam AF, Garoufalis P, Chen CY, Guymer RH, Baird PN
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Configuration of the drainage angle, intraocular pressure, and optic disc cupping in subjects with chronic angle-closure glaucoma.
- Authors: Aung T, Lim MC, Chan YH, Rojanapongpun P, Chew PT, EXACT Study Group.
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- Heritability of anterior chamber depth as an intermediate phenotype of angle-closure in Chinese: the Guangzhou Twin Eye Study.
- Authors: He M, Wang D, Zheng Y, Zhang J, Yin Q, Huang W, Mackey DA, Foster PJ
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- A twin study on age-related macular degeneration.
- Authors: Meyers SM
- Issue date: 1994
- The inheritance of peripapillary atrophy.
- Authors: Healey PR, Mitchell P, Gilbert CE, Lee AJ, Ge D, Snieder H, Spector TD, Hammond CJ
- Issue date: 2007 Jun