Early and treatment-related deaths in childhood acute myeloid leukaemia in the Nordic countries: 1984-2003
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Jonmundsson, Gudmundur K
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBr. J. Haematol. 2010, 151(5):447-59
AbstractDespite major improvements in the cure rate of childhood acute myeloid leukaemia (AML), 5-15% of patients still die from treatment-related complications. In a historical prospective cohort study, we analysed the frequency, clinical features and risk factors for early deaths (ED) and treatment-related deaths (TRD) in 525 children included in the Nordic Society of Paediatric Haematology and Oncology (NOPHO)-AML-84, -88 and -93 trials. Seventy patients (13%) died before starting treatment or from treatment-related complications. The death rate rose from 11% in NOPHO-AML-84 to 29% in -88, but then fell to 8% in -93. Sixteen patients (3%) died within the first 2 weeks, mainly from bleeding or leucostasis. Hyperleucocytosis, age <2 or ≥10 years were risk factors. After day 15, 10% of patients died from treatment-related complications with infection as the main cause of death. Risk factors were age <2 or ≥10 years and treatment according to the NOPHO-AML-88 protocol. The number of EDs and TRDs in AML is high. Therefore optimal antifungal prophylaxis is essential, and studies on the benefit of antibacterial prophylaxis and individual risk factors for ED and TRD are needed.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Treatment-related deaths in second complete remission in childhood acute myeloid leukaemia.
- Authors: Molgaard-Hansen L, Möttönen M, Glosli H, Jónmundsson GK, Abrahamsson J, Hasle H, Nordic Society of Paediatric Haematology and Oncology (NOPHO).
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Treatment-related death in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in the Nordic countries: 1992-2001.
- Authors: Christensen MS, Heyman M, Möttönen M, Zeller B, Jonmundsson G, Hasle H, Nordic Society of Paediatric Haematology and Oncology (NOPHO).
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Early deaths and treatment-related mortality in children undergoing therapy for acute myeloid leukemia: analysis of the multicenter clinical trials AML-BFM 93 and AML-BFM 98.
- Authors: Creutzig U, Zimmermann M, Reinhardt D, Dworzak M, Stary J, Lehrnbecher T
- Issue date: 2004 Nov 1
- [Analysis of causes of death during intensive chemotherapy according to treatment protocol AML-BFM 93].
- Authors: Creutzig U, Zimmermann M, Reinhardt D, Lehrnbecher T
- Issue date: 2003 May-Jun
- Optimal treatment intensity in children with Down syndrome and myeloid leukaemia: data from 56 children treated on NOPHO-AML protocols and a review of the literature.
- Authors: Abildgaard L, Ellebaek E, Gustafsson G, Abrahamsson J, Hovi L, Jonmundsson G, Zeller B, Hasle H
- Issue date: 2006 May