Molecular characterization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus epidermidis clones: evidence of geographic dissemination
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Pereira, Sandro F F
Kristinsson, Karl G
Jarløv, Jens O
de Lencastre, Hermínia
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ. Clin. Microbiol. 2002, 40(2):430-8
AbstractDenmark and Iceland are countries where the frequency of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus is very low due to strict infection control and restrictive antibiotic use policies. In contrast, methicillin-resistant S. epidermidis (MRSE) continues to be isolated as a nosocomial pathogen. The molecular typing by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) of 136 MRSE isolates from five hospitals in Denmark and 94 MRSE isolates from one hospital in Iceland collected in 1997 and 1998 defined 40 different patterns. Closely related PFGE types were found in isolates recovered in Iceland, Denmark, Mexico, Uruguay, Greece, and Cape Verde, evidencing for the first time the geographic clonal dissemination of MRSE strains. The large majority (87.4%) of the MRSE isolates studied were multiresistant.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Molecular and Phenotypic Characterization of Multidrug-Resistant Clones of Staphylococcus epidermidis in Iranian Hospitals: Clonal Relatedness to Healthcare-Associated Methicillin-Resistant Isolates in Northern Europe.
- Authors: Saffari F, Widerström M, Gurram BK, Edebro H, Hojabri Z, Monsen T
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Isolation of methicillin-resistant coagulase-negative staphylococci from patients undergoing continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) and comparison of different molecular techniques for discriminating isolates of Staphylococcus epidermidis.
- Authors: de Mattos EM, Teixeira LA, Alves VM, Rezenda e Resende CA, da Silva Coimbra MV, da Silva-Carvalho MC, Ferreira-Carvalho BT, Figueiredo AM
- Issue date: 2003 Jan
- Antimicrobial susceptibilities and population structure of Staphylococcus epidermidis associated with ovine mastitis.
- Authors: Onni T, Sanna G, Larsen J, Tola S
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 24
- National surveillance of Staphylococcus epidermidis recovered from bloodstream infections in Belgian hospitals.
- Authors: Deplano A, Vandendriessche S, Nonhoff C, Dodémont M, Roisin S, Denis O
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Extreme genetic diversity of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus epidermidis strains disseminated among healthy Japanese children.
- Authors: Jamaluddin TZ, Kuwahara-Arai K, Hisata K, Terasawa M, Cui L, Baba T, Sotozono C, Kinoshita S, Ito T, Hiramatsu K
- Issue date: 2008 Nov