Incidence and prevalence of Type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus in Icelandic children 1970–1989
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDiabetologia. 1992, 35(9):880-3
ÚtdrátturThrough use of primary and secondary data sources for registration and validation, the incidence and prevalence of Type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus in children aged 0–14 years in Iceland has been completely ascertained for the years 1970–1989. The age-adjusted mean annual incidence per 100,000 for the 20-year period was 9.4 (95% confidence interval 7.8–11.3); similar for boys (9.9; 7.7–12.7) and girls (8.8; 6.7–11.5). Between 1970–1979 the incidence was 8.0 (6.0–10.6) and between 1980–1989 it was comparable at 10.8 (8.4–13.8) (p>0.10). By Poisson regression analysis the variation in incidence was related to age at diagnosis (p<0.001), while a linear trend for calendar year at diagnosis did not reach statistical significance (p=0.07). A quadratic curve, however, better described the temporal variation in incidence (p<0.05). The total prevalence per 1,000 by the end of 1979 and 1989 was similar, 0.45 (0.30–0.65) and 0.57 (0.40–0.79), respectively. In conclusion, this study confirms that both the incidence and prevalence of childhood Type 1 diabetes in Iceland are low compared to the other Nordic countries. The findings may suggest a causative role for environmental factors that are not related to latitude or ambient temperature.
Lu00FDsingTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Different beta-casein fractions in Icelandic versus Scandinavian cow's milk may influence diabetogenicity of cow's milk in infancy and explain low incidence of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in Iceland.
- Authors: Thorsdottir I, Birgisdottir BE, Johannsdottir IM, Harris DP, Hill J, Steingrimsdottir L, Thorsson AV
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- Age- and sex-specific incidence of childhood leukemia by immunophenotype in the Nordic countries.
- Authors: Hjalgrim LL, Rostgaard K, Schmiegelow K, Söderhäll S, Kolmannskog S, Vettenranta K, Kristinsson J, Clausen N, Melbye M, Hjalgrim H, Gustafsson G
- Issue date: 2003 Oct 15
- Geographical variation in the incidence of type 1 diabetes in the Nordic countries: A study within NordicDiabKids.
- Authors: Samuelsson U, Westerberg L, Aakesson K, Birkebaek NH, Bjarnason R, Drivvoll AK, Skrivarhaug T, Svensson J, Thorsson A, Hanberger L, Nordic Childhood Diabetes Registry Study Group, NordicDiabKids.
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Equal access to health care may diminish the differences in outcome between native and immigrant patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Authors: Fredheim S, Delli A, Rida H, Drivvoll AK, Skrivarhaug T, Bjarnason R, Thorsson A, Lindblad B, Svensson J
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Regular peaks and troughs in the Australian incidence of childhood type 1 diabetes mellitus (2000-2011).
- Authors: Haynes A, Bulsara MK, Bower C, Jones TW, Davis EA
- Issue date: 2015 Nov