Risk of prostate, ovarian, and endometrial cancer among relatives of women with breast cancer
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBMJ 1992, 305(6858):855-7
ÚtdrátturOBJECTIVE: To investigate the risk of prostate, ovarian, and endometrial cancer among relatives of patients with breast cancer. DESIGN: Cohort study of 947 pedigrees in which the proband had breast cancer, linked with the Icelandic cancer registry. SETTING: Iceland. SUBJECTS: The 947 pedigrees included 29,725 people, of whom 1539 had breast cancer, 467 had prostate cancer, 135 ovarian cancer, and 105 endometrial cancer. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Risk of prostate, ovarian, and endometrial cancer among blood relatives of women with breast cancer compared with risk in spouses. RESULTS: The risk of prostate cancer was significantly raised for all relatives (1.5), first degree relatives (1.4), and second degree relatives (1.3) of women with breast cancer. Risk of ovarian cancer was raised for all relatives (1.9) and first degree relatives (1.9) and risk of endometrial cancer was raised for all relatives only (1.9). The risk of prostate cancer was raised if the proband with breast cancer had a first degree relative with prostate cancer. CONCLUSIONS: Coaggregation exists between breast cancer and cancers of the prostate, ovaries, and endometrium. This risk relation is probably based on genes which act by increasing the risk for cancer at these sites. Environmental factors that are common among relatives may also play a part. Continued research is required into pathophysiological mechanisms that could explain these observations.
Lu00FDsingTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Neoplastic diseases in families of breast cancer patients.
- Authors: Tulinius H, Olafsdottir GH, Sigvaldason H, Tryggvadottir L, Bjarnadottir K
- Issue date: 1994 Aug
- Familial effects of prostate and other cancers on lifetime breast cancer risk.
- Authors: Anderson DE, Badzioch MD
- Issue date: 1993 Nov
- Cancer among first-degree relatives of probands with invasive and borderline ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Rader JS, Neuman RJ, Brady J, Babb S, Temple S, Kost E, Mutch DG, Herzog TJ
- Issue date: 1998 Oct
- The effect of a single BRCA2 mutation on cancer in Iceland.
- Authors: Tulinius H, Olafsdottir GH, Sigvaldason H, Arason A, Barkardottir RB, Egilsson V, Ogmundsdottir HM, Tryggvadottir L, Gudlaugsdottir S, Eyfjord JE
- Issue date: 2002 Jul
- Familial risk of prostate cancer in Iceland.
- Authors: Eldon BJ, Jonsson E, Tomasson J, Tryggvadottir L, Tulinius H
- Issue date: 2003 Dec