Nuclear DNA analysis and prognosis in carcinoma of the thyroid gland. A nationwide study in Iceland on carcinomas diagnosed 1955-1990
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationVirchows Arch. 1994, 425(4):349-55
AbstractThe purpose of this study was to ascertain whether DNA ploidy status and S-phase fraction affected the prognosis of patients with carcinoma of the thyroid gland. We reviewed all malignant thyroid tumours diagnosed in Iceland from 1955 to 1990. In all, 494 thyroid carcinomas were diagnosed during that period. By analysing tumour material from paraffin blocks by flow cytometry we were able to evaluate the ploidy status in 424 tumours and the S-phase value in 417 tumours. We detected aneuploid cell populations in 9.7% of papillary carcinomas, 24.3% of follicular carcinomas, 42.9% of medullary carcinomas and 78.6% of anaplastic carcinomas. Some 57% of tumours, mainly papillary carcinomas, had an S-phase value of less then 3%, whereas most of the other histological types of carcinoma, including all the anaplastic tumours, had an S-phase value of > or = 3%. Univariate analysis indicated that both ploidy status and S-phase fraction were significant variables. When taking into account known prognostic variables of thyroid carcinoma in a multivariate analysis, however, neither ploidy status nor S-phase value proved significant. We conclude that DNA ploidy status and S-phase values are not independent prognostic factors in thyroid carcinoma.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- [Thyroid cancer in Iceland. Epidemiology and prognostic factors with special emphasis on the results of nuclear DNA-analysis].
- Authors: Hrafnkelsson J, Jonasson JG
- Issue date: 1994 Nov
- Tumours in Iceland. 11. Malignant tumours of the thyroid gland. A histological classification and epidemiological considerations.
- Authors: Jónasson JG, Hrafnkelsson J, Björnsson J
- Issue date: 1989 Jul
- Flow cytometric DNA analysis of thyroid carcinoma.
- Authors: Tsuchiya A, Sekikawa K, Ando Y, Suzuki S, Kimijima I, Abe R
- Issue date: 1990 Sep
- Follicular neoplasms of the thyroid in men older than 50 years of age. A DNA flow cytometric study.
- Authors: Hruban RH, Huvos AG, Traganos F, Reuter V, Lieberman PH, Melamed MR
- Issue date: 1990 Nov
- The value of DNA content in predicting the prognosis of thyroid carcinoma in an endemic iodine deficiency region.
- Authors: Onaran Y, Tezelman S, Gürel N, Terzioğlu T, Oğuz H, Tanakol R, Kapran Y
- Issue date: 1999 Feb