Auditory event-related potentials, auditory digit span, and clinical symptoms in chronic schizophrenic men on neuroleptic medication
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBiol. Psychiatry. 1996, 40(1):19-27
AbstractThe aim of this study was to test predictions based on Grossberg's theories of overarousal in neural networks as related to schizophrenic symptomatology. We predicted that symptoms of blunted affect and volition would be associated with reduced P300 amplitude, while impaired attention and short-term memory and symptoms of disorganization would be associated with increased N200 and P300 latency. Event-related potentials, elicited by auditory stimuli, were recorded in 20 chronic schizophrenic men on neuroleptic medication and an age- and sex-matched control group of 20 normal volunteers. The amplitude and latency values of the N200 and P300 waves at the vertex (Cz) were compared with clinical ratings (the Scale for the Assessment of Positive Symptoms and the Scale for the Assessment of Negative Symptoms) and with neuropsychological test scores by means of Spearman rank correlation coefficient. The patients showed a reduced P300 amplitude and an increased N200 latency. No correlation was found between the P300 amplitude and the symptom scores. The N200 latency was negatively correlated with auditory digit span and positively correlated with high global scores for attentional impairment, alogia, and positive formal thought disorder. Our initial predictions are partly confirmed by the apparent association between increased N200 latency and symptoms of disorganization.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- [The P 300 potential in schizophrenia].
- Authors: Laurent A, Garcia-Larrea L, Dalery J, Terra JL, D'Amato T, Marie-Cardine M, Mauguière F
- Issue date: 1993 May-Jun
- [ERPs changes during neuroleptic treatment in schizophrenia--a vulnerability marker in schizophrenia].
- Authors: Asato N, Hirayasu Y, Hiramatsu K, Ohta H
- Issue date: 1999
- Abnormalities of auditory event-related potentials in schizophrenia prior to treatment.
- Authors: Hirayasu Y, Asato N, Ohta H, Hokama H, Arakaki H, Ogura C
- Issue date: 1998 Feb 15
- [Influence of attention on an auditory-verbal learning test in schizophrenic patients].
- Authors: Huguelet P, Nicastro R, Zanello A
- Issue date: 2002 Jul-Aug
- [Analysis of reaction time in post-acute schizophrenia using electrophysiologic variables].
- Authors: Eichert V, Klosterkötter J
- Issue date: 1996 Jul