Prevention of depression among Icelandic adolescents: A 12-month follow-up
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBehav Res Ther. 2011, 49(3):170-4
AbstractThis paper reports the 12-month follow-up results regarding a program designed to prevent the initial episode of depression and/or dysthymia among Icelandic adolescents. This indicated prevention program was implemented in school settings for 14-15 year-old students judged to be "at risk" for depression because of the presence of some depressive symptoms and/or a negative attributional style. We previously reported (Arnarson & Craighead, 2009) that this program, when compared to treatment-as-usual, was effective in preventing the first episode of depression and/or dysthymia at 6-months following completion of the program. Survival analyses of the 12-month follow-up data indicated that the preventive effects were sustained at the end of 1 year following the completion of the prevention program with only 2 of the prevention program participants reporting an initial episode of MDD/DYS versus 13 of the TAU participants (χ(2) = 5.02, p = .025). Using logistic regression, we also found that initial level of depressive symptoms significantly (p = .0330) predicted the first episode of depression and/or dysthymia among TAU subjects. The limitations of the study were noted, and future directions of research regarding prevention of depression were discussed.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Prevention of depression among Icelandic adolescents.
- Authors: Arnarson EO, Craighead WE
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- The efficacy of a universal school-based program to prevent adolescent depression.
- Authors: Shochet IM, Dadds MR, Holland D, Whitefield K, Harnett PH, Osgarby SM
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- Prevention of depression in subclinically depressed adults: follow-up effects on the 'Coping with Depression' course.
- Authors: Allart-van Dam E, Hosman CM, Hoogduin CA, Schaap CP
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- School-based prevention of depression: a 2-year follow-up of a randomized controlled trial of the beyondblue schools research initiative.
- Authors: Sawyer MG, Harchak TF, Spence SH, Bond L, Graetz B, Kay D, Patton G, Sheffield J
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- School-based prevention of depressive symptoms in adolescents: a 6-month follow-up.
- Authors: Pössel P, Horn AB, Groen G, Hautzinger M
- Issue date: 2004 Aug