Case-control studies on ceruloplasmin and superoxide dismutase (SOD1) in neurodegenerative diseases: a short review
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ. Neurol. Sci. 2010, 299(1-2):51-4
AbstractThis short review describes a series of case-control studies on the concentration and oxidative activity of ceruloplasmin (CP) in serum and the activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD1) in erythrocytes in patients with Alzheimer's disease (AD), Parkinson's disease (PD) and Down's syndrome (DS). The same parameters were re-examined in the PD patients 5 years later. The specific oxidative activity (oxidative activity related to mass) of CP was calculated in PD and DS. In AD and PD the oxidative activity of CP and SOD1 activity was significantly lower in patients than controls. The specific oxidative activity of CP was also significantly lower in PD patients. The difference in all parameters determined was still present 5 years later in PD patients. There was no difference in the concentration or activity of CP in patients with DS and controls. Because of the gene-dose effect (the gene for SOD1 is located on chromosome 21); the SOD1 activity was 50% higher in the patients than the controls. The CP specific oxidative activity and SOD1 activity were found to be significantly lower in the older (>40 years) than the younger DS patients. Whether changes in CP and SOD1 in AD, PD and DS are primary changes or a result of prolonged disease burden needs to be examined.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Ceruloplasmin and superoxide dismutase (SOD1) in Parkinson's disease: a follow-up study.
- Authors: Tórsdóttir G, Sveinbjörnsdóttir S, Kristinsson J, Snaedal J, Jóhannesson T
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 15
- Copper, ceruloplasmin and superoxide dismutase (SOD1) in patients with Down's syndrome.
- Authors: Tórsdóttir G, Kristinsson J, Hreidarsson S, Snaedal J, Jóhannesson T
- Issue date: 2001 Dec
- [Neurodegenerative diseases, antioxidative enzymes and copper. A review of experimental research.].
- Authors: Jóhannesson T, Kristinsson J, Snædal J
- Issue date: 2003 Sep
- Ceruloplasmin and superoxide dismutase (SOD1) in heterozygotes for Wilson disease: A case control study.
- Authors: Tórsdóttir G, Gudmundsson G, Kristinsson J, Snaedal J, Jóhannesson T
- Issue date: 2009
- Copper and zinc concentrations and the activities of ceruloplasmin and superoxide dismutase in atherosclerosis obliterans.
- Authors: Iskra M, Majewski W
- Issue date: 2000 Jan