Cancer of the pancreas in Iceland. An epidemiologic and clinical study, 1974-85
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationScand. J. Gastroenterol. 1991, 26(7):724-30
AbstractA retrospective study was performed of all patients diagnosed as having pancreatic cancer in Iceland during the period 1974-85 (12 years). The incidence of the disease during the period according to this study was 10.7 per 100,000 males and 9.8 per 100,000 females, with age-adjusted world standard incidences of 9.0 per 100,000 males and 6.7 per 100,000 females. A total of 301 patients were identified; adequate information could be obtained for 281 patients, and 225 (74.8%) had the diagnosis histologically confirmed. Two hundred and five patients with adenocarcinoma were accepted for detailed analysis. Of the patients with adenocarcinoma 139 (67.8%) were diagnosed at laparotomy, and 33 of them had the tumour resected, with an operative mortality of 12.1%. The cancer was located in the head of the pancreas in 102 patients (49.8%), and in 159 (77.6%) metastases were found at the time of diagnosis. The median survival time for the patients with adenocarcinoma was 95.4 days (SD +/- 11.1 days), although there were two patients in this group who were alive 5 years after diagnosis. The median survival for the total group of 281 patients was 98.3 days (SD +/- 11.0 days), although 6 of these patients lived for more than 5 years. The percentage of histologically confirmed tumours in Iceland is high compared with many previously reported studies.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Incidence, diagnostic, treatment and outcome of patients diagnosed with cancer of the pancreas during 1986-2009: a population-based study.
- Authors: Jonsdottir SB, Juliusson G, Kristinsson JÖ, Hreinsson JP, Jonasson JG, Björnsson ES
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- [Adenocarcinoma of the appendix in Iceland 1990-2009. A population based study].
- Authors: Vidarsdottir H, Jónasson JG, Möller PH
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- [Epidemiology of the two types of gastric adenocarcinoma in Iceland according to the Laurén histological classification 1990-2009].
- Authors: Olafsdottir HS, Alexiusdottir KK, Lund SH, Jonasson JG, Jonsson T, Skuladottir H
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Italian cancer figures--Report 2015: The burden of rare cancers in Italy.
- Authors: AIRTUM Working Group., Busco S, Buzzoni C, Mallone S, Trama A, Castaing M, Bella F, Amodio R, Bizzoco S, Cassetti T, Cirilli C, Cusimano R, De Angelis R, Fusco M, Gatta G, Gennaro V, Giacomin A, Giorgi Rossi P, Mangone L, Mannino S, Rossi S, Pierannunzio D, Tavilla A, Tognazzo S, Tumino R, Vicentini M, Vitale MF, Crocetti E, Dal Maso L
- Issue date: 2016 Jan-Feb
- Cancer of the pancreas in New Zealand 1970-1974.
- Authors: Stewart RJ, Stewart AW, Stewart JM, Ibister WH
- Issue date: 1982 Aug