The acute phase response of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua): Humoral and cellular response.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Audunsdottir, Sigridur S
Bragason, Birkir Th
Jonsson, Zophonias O
MetadataShow full item record
CitationFish Shellfish Immunol. 2011, 30(4-5):1124-30
AbstractIntra-muscular injection of turpentine oil was used to induce acute phase response (APR) in Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L.). The effects on the serum cortisol, total protein, IgM and pentraxin concentration were examined as well as the effects on natural antibody, anti-trypsin and leukocyte respiratory burst activity. The turpentine injection resulted in a 26 fold increase in the cortisol level after 72 h. Slightly reduced serum protein level in both groups was attributed to the restricted feeding during the experimental period. The IgM serum concentration was significantly reduced after 168 h in the turpentine treated fish while the natural antibody activity was not affected. The anti-trypsin activity was initially suppressed but recovered to normal levels at the end of the experiment. The turpentine injection had little effect on the serum level of the pentraxins, CRP-PI and CRP-PII. The respiratory burst activity was significantly suppressed after 72 h. It is concluded that 1) cod shows a relatively slow humoral and cellular response to APR induction, 2) the increase in serum cortisol level may be the key modulator of the mainly suppressive effects on the immune parameters and 3) pentraxins are not typical acute phase proteins in cod.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- The acute phase response of cod (Gadus morhua L.): expression of immune response genes.
- Authors: Audunsdottir SS, Magnadottir B, Gisladottir B, Jonsson ZO, Bragason BT
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- The immune and stress responses of Atlantic cod to long-term increases in water temperature.
- Authors: Pérez-Casanova JC, Rise ML, Dixon B, Afonso LO, Hall JR, Johnson SC, Gamperl AK
- Issue date: 2008 May
- Isolation of two C-reactive protein homologues from cod (Gadus morhua L.) serum.
- Authors: Gisladottir B, Gudmundsdottir S, Brown L, Jonsson ZO, Magnadottir B
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- The ontogenic development of innate immune parameters of cod (Gadus morhua L.).
- Authors: Magnadóttir B, Lange S, Steinarsson A, Gudmundsdóttir S
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Intraperitoneal vaccination of Atlantic cod, Gadus morhua with heat-killed Listonella anguillarum enhances serum antibacterial activity and expression of immune response genes.
- Authors: Caipang CM, Hynes N, Puangkaew J, Brinchmann MF, Kiron V
- Issue date: 2008 Mar