Association between sigmoid diverticulitis and left-sided colon cancer: a nested, population-based, case control study
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationScand. J. Gastroenterol. 2004, 39(8):743-7
AbstractBACKGROUND: An increased risk of left-sided colon cancer in patients with diverticular disease of the sigmoid colon has been reported. The aim of this study was to investigate to what extent patients with diverticulitis of the sigmoid colon differ in long-term risk of colon cancer compared to patients with diverticulosis of the colon without any clinical signs of diverticulitis. METHODS: A total of 7159 patients (2478 M, 4681 F) discharged with a diagnosis of diverticulosis or diverticulitis in 1965-83 in the Uppsala Health Care Region were followed-up with the Swedish Cancer Registry. Sixty-four cases with colon cancer were identified and compared with 123 controls without cancer matched for sex, age and year of first discharge. Based on information from the patients' charts, an independent observer blinded to the outcome assigned a clinical diagnosis of diverticulitis or not diverticulitis to cases and controls. RESULTS: In patients classified as having sigmoid diverticulitis there was an increased risk of left-sided colon cancer compared with patients with diverticulosis without any clinical signs of diverticulitis (odds ratio = 4.2, 95% CI 1.3-13.0) which remained after mutually adjusting for several clinical parameters in a multivariate conditional logistic regression analysis. CONCLUSION: The results of the study indicate a causal association between sigmoid diverticulitis and a long-term increased risk of left-sided colon cancer.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Link field
- Increased risk of left sided colon cancer in patients with diverticular disease.
- Authors: Stefánsson T, Ekbom A, Sparèn P, Påhlman L
- Issue date: 1993 Apr
- [Surgical therapy in right-sided diverticulitis].
- Authors: Hildebrand P, Birth M, Bruch HP, Schwandner O
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Diverticular disease and the risk of colon cancer - a population-based case-control study.
- Authors: Granlund J, Svensson T, Granath F, Hjern F, Ekbom A, Blomqvist P, Schmidt PT
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- The incidence of colon cancer among patients diagnosed with left colonic or sigmoid acute diverticulitis is higher than in the general population.
- Authors: Meyer J, Thomopoulos T, Usel M, Gjika E, Bouchardy C, Morel P, Ris F
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Surgical management of colonic diverticular disease: discrepancy between right- and left-sided diseases.
- Authors: Oh HK, Han EC, Ha HK, Choe EK, Moon SH, Ryoo SB, Jeong SY, Park KJ
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 7