Depression and suicide attempt as risk factors for incident unprovoked seizures
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAnn. Neurol. 2006, 59(1):35-41
ÚtdrátturMajor depression has been shown to increase the risk for development of epilepsy, but prior studies have not evaluated whether this is due to specific symptoms of depression. We conducted a population-based case-control study of all newly diagnosed unprovoked seizures among Icelandic children and adults aged 10 years and older to test the hypothesis that major depression is a risk factor for developing unprovoked seizure and epilepsy, and to address whether specific symptoms of depression account for this increased risk. Cases were matched to the next two same sex births from the population registry. Using standardized interviews, we ascertained symptoms of major depression to make a Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV) diagnosis. A history of major depression was 1.7-fold more common among cases than among controls (95% confidence interval, 1.1-2.7). A history of attempted suicide was 5.1-fold more common among cases than among controls (95% confidence interval, 2.2-11.5). Attempted suicide increased seizure risk even after adjusting for age, sex, cumulative alcohol intake, and major depression or number of symptoms of depression. Major depression and attempted suicide independently increase the risk for unprovoked seizure. These data suggest that depression and suicide attempt may be due to different underlying neurochemical pathways, each of which is important in the development of epilepsy.
Lu00FDsingTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- ADHD as a risk factor for incident unprovoked seizures and epilepsy in children.
- Authors: Hesdorffer DC, Ludvigsson P, Olafsson E, Gudmundsson G, Kjartansson O, Hauser WA
- Issue date: 2004 Jul
- Socioeconomic status is a risk factor for epilepsy in Icelandic adults but not in children.
- Authors: Hesdorffer DC, Tian H, Anand K, Hauser WA, Ludvigsson P, Olafsson E, Kjartansson O
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Migraine with aura is a risk factor for unprovoked seizures in children.
- Authors: Ludvigsson P, Hesdorffer D, Olafsson E, Kjartansson O, Hauser WA
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Prevention of suicide and attempted suicide in Denmark. Epidemiological studies of suicide and intervention studies in selected risk groups.
- Authors: Nordentoft M
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Major depression is a risk factor for seizures in older adults.
- Authors: Hesdorffer DC, Hauser WA, Annegers JF, Cascino G
- Issue date: 2000 Feb