Flt3/Flk-2 ligand in combination with thrombopoietin decreases apoptosis in megakaryocyte development
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsSigurjonsson, Olafur Eysteinn
Gudmundsson, Kristbjorn Orri
Agnarsson, Bjarni A
MetadataShow full item record
CitationStem Cells Dev. 2004, 13(2):183-91
AbstractThe growth factors thrombopoietin (TPO) and Flt3/Flk-2-ligand (FL), either independently or in combination, modulate megakaryocyte development. Our results show that bone marrow CD34+ cells cultured with TPO and FL differentiate at a slower rate into CD41+ cells and are delayed in apoptosis at the later stages of the cultures compared to cells cultured with TPO alone. Our data also show that FL in synergy with TPO may inhibit apoptosis in megakaryocyte development by up-regulating bcl-2 and inducing conformational changes of p53, in MK progenitors. FL in combination with TPO slows down maturation and consequently delays apoptosis of MK progenitor cells.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Flt3/Flk-2-ligand in synergy with thrombopoietin delays megakaryocyte development and increases the numbers of megakaryocyte progenitor cells in serum-free cultures initiated with CD34+ cells.
- Authors: Sigurjónsson OE, Gudmundsson KO, Haraldsdóttir V, Rafnar T, Gudmundsson S
- Issue date: 2002 Apr
- Thrombopoietin, but not erythropoietin, directly stimulates multilineage growth of primitive murine bone marrow progenitor cells in synergy with early acting cytokines: distinct interactions with the ligands for c-kit and FLT3.
- Authors: Ramsfjell V, Borge OJ, Veiby OP, Cardier J, Murphy MJ Jr, Lyman SD, Lok S, Jacobsen SE
- Issue date: 1996 Dec 15
- Thrombopoietin directly and potently stimulates multilineage growth and progenitor cell expansion from primitive (CD34+ CD38-) human bone marrow progenitor cells: distinct and key interactions with the ligands for c-kit and flt3, and inhibitory effects of TGF-beta and TNF-alpha.
- Authors: Ramsfjell V, Borge OJ, Cui L, Jacobsen SE
- Issue date: 1997 Jun 1
- Murine prolactin-like protein E synergizes with human thrombopoietin to stimulate expansion of human megakaryocytes and their precursors.
- Authors: Lefebvre P, Lin J, Linzer DI, Cohen I
- Issue date: 2001 Jan
- The Mpl-ligand or thrombopoietin or megakaryocyte growth and differentiative factor has both direct proliferative and differentiative activities on human megakaryocyte progenitors.
- Authors: Debili N, Wendling F, Katz A, Guichard J, Breton-Gorius J, Hunt P, Vainchenker W
- Issue date: 1995 Oct 1