Flt3/Flk-2 ligand in combination with thrombopoietin decreases apoptosis in megakaryocyte development
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsSigurjonsson, Olafur Eysteinn
Gudmundsson, Kristbjorn Orri
Agnarsson, Bjarni A
MetadataShow full item record
CitationStem Cells Dev. 2004, 13(2):183-91
AbstractThe growth factors thrombopoietin (TPO) and Flt3/Flk-2-ligand (FL), either independently or in combination, modulate megakaryocyte development. Our results show that bone marrow CD34+ cells cultured with TPO and FL differentiate at a slower rate into CD41+ cells and are delayed in apoptosis at the later stages of the cultures compared to cells cultured with TPO alone. Our data also show that FL in synergy with TPO may inhibit apoptosis in megakaryocyte development by up-regulating bcl-2 and inducing conformational changes of p53, in MK progenitors. FL in combination with TPO slows down maturation and consequently delays apoptosis of MK progenitor cells.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Flt3/Flk-2-ligand in synergy with thrombopoietin delays megakaryocyte development and increases the numbers of megakaryocyte progenitor cells in serum-free cultures initiated with CD34+ cells.
- Authors: Sigurjónsson OE, Gudmundsson KO, Haraldsdóttir V, Rafnar T, Gudmundsson S
- Issue date: 2002 Apr
- Thrombopoietin directly and potently stimulates multilineage growth and progenitor cell expansion from primitive (CD34+ CD38-) human bone marrow progenitor cells: distinct and key interactions with the ligands for c-kit and flt3, and inhibitory effects of TGF-beta and TNF-alpha.
- Authors: Ramsfjell V, Borge OJ, Cui L, Jacobsen SE
- Issue date: 1997 Jun 1
- Proliferative properties of human umbilical cord blood megakaryocyte progenitor cells to human thrombopoietin.
- Authors: Hagiwara T, Kodama I, Horie K, Kato T, Miyazaki H
- Issue date: 1998 Mar
- Apoptosis of erythroid precursors under stimulation with thrombopoietin: contribution to megakaryocytic lineage choice.
- Authors: Sawai N, Koike K, Ito S, Kurokawa Y, Mwamtemi HH, Kinoshita T, Sakashita K, Higuchi T, Takeuchi K, Shiohara M, Ogami K, Komiyama A
- Issue date: 1999
- Effects of recombinant human thrombopoietin alone and in combination with erythropoietin and early-acting cytokines on human mobilized purified CD34+ progenitor cells cultured in serum-depleted medium.
- Authors: Birkmann J, Oez S, Smetak M, Kaiser G, Kappauf H, Gallmeier WM
- Issue date: 1997