The absolute risk of recurrent myocardial infarction is similar amongst both sexes: MONICA Iceland Study 1981-1999
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Gudmundsdottir, Inga Ingibjorg
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2004, 11 (2):121-4
AbstractBACKGROUND: To do a gender comparison of absolute risk of recurrent myocardial infarction (MI). DESIGN: Registration of all first and second MI amongst Icelandic males and females 1981-1999. METHODS: The whole of Icelandic population, 40-74 years of age. RESULTS: The mean recurrence rate (second attack) for men was 45.7/1000 MI survivors/year and for women 39.0/1000 per year. The male/female (M/F) ratio was 1.17, 95% confidence interval 1.00-1.37, P = 0.05 and did not change significantly with age. The M/F ratio for first MI in comparison was two to seven, lowest in the oldest group. The recurrence rate decreased significantly and similarly in both sexes during the observation period. CONCLUSION: The absolute risk of MI is closely similar amongst both sexes and has decreased similarly suggesting that the same kind of secondary intervention is effective amongst both sexes in a general population.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Declining coronary heart disease mortality in Iceland: contribution by incidence, recurrence and case fatality rate.
- Authors: Sigfusson N, Sigurdsson G, Agnarsson U, Gudmundsdottir II, Stefansdottir I, Sigvaldason H, Gudnason V
- Issue date: 2002 Dec
- Incidence of myocardial infarction in the Danish MONICA population 1982-1991.
- Authors: Kirchhoff M, Davidsen M, Brønnum-Hansen H, Hansen B, Schnack H, Eriksen LS, Madsen M, Schroll M
- Issue date: 1999 Apr
- Favourable trends in the incidence and outcome of myocardial infarction in nondiabetic, but not in diabetic, subjects: findings from the MONICA myocardial infarction registry in northern Sweden in 1989-2000.
- Authors: Rautio A, Lundberg V, Messner T, Nasic S, Stegmayr B, Eliasson M
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Association of sports activities in leisure time and incident myocardial infarction in middle-aged men and women from the general population: the MONICA/KORA Augsburg cohort study.
- Authors: Meisinger C, Löwel H, Heier M, Kandler U, Döring A
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- Myocardial Infarction Register in MONICA-Czechoslovakia Centre.
- Authors: Skodová Z, Písa Z, Berka L, Cícha Z, Cerovská J, Emrová R, Hejl Z, Hrdlicková K, Hoke M, Pikhartová J
- Issue date: 1988