Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Adv Nurs. 2008, 61(1):29-37
AbstractAIM: This paper is a report of a study to identify what operating room nurses believe influences patient safety and how they see their role in enhancing patient safety. BACKGROUND: Research in health care shows that work experience, communication and the organization of work are key factors in patient safety. This study draws on Reason's definitions of active and latent errors to conceptualize the complex issues that affect patient safety in the operating room. METHOD: The study reported here is part of an action research project at a university hospital in Iceland. Semi-structured interviews were conducted in 2004 with eight nurses, followed by two focus groups of four nurses each in 2005. Data were analysed using interpretive content analysis. FINDINGS: Securing patient safety and preventing mistakes were described as key elements in operating room nursing by all survey participants. In the interviews, the nurses identified the existing culture of prevention and protection that characterizes operating room nursing as crucial in enhancing safety. The organization of work into specialty teams was considered essential. Increased speed of work in an environment where enhanced productivity is imperative, as well as imbalance in staffing, was identified as the main threats to safety. CONCLUSION: Operating room nurses have a common understanding of the core of their work, which is to ensure patient safety during operations. The work environment is increasingly characterized by latent error, i.e. system-based threats to patient safety that can materialize at any time. Interventions to enhance patient safety in operating room nursing are needed.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Nursing in a technological environment: nursing care in the operating room.
- Authors: Bull R, FitzGerald M
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Enhancing patient safety in the operating theatre: from the perspective of experienced operating theatre nurses.
- Authors: Ingvarsdottir E, Halldorsdottir S
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Strategies used by nurses to recover medical errors in an academic emergency department setting.
- Authors: Henneman EA, Blank FS, Gawlinski A, Henneman PL
- Issue date: 2006 May
- [Operating Room Nurses' Experiences of Securing for Patient Safety].
- Authors: Park KO, Kim JK, Kim MS
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Nurses' perceptions of patient safety culture in Jordanian hospitals.
- Authors: Khater WA, Akhu-Zaheya LM, Al-Mahasneh SI, Khater R
- Issue date: 2015 Mar