Variant of transcription factor 7-like 2 (TCF7L2) gene confers risk of type 2 diabetes.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsGrant, Struan F A
Magnusson, Kristinn P
Walters, G Bragi
Wilensky, Robert L
Reilly, Muredach P
Rader, Daniel J
Gulcher, Jeffrey R
MetadataShow full item record
CitationNat. Genet. 2006, 38(3):320-3
AbstractWe have previously reported suggestive linkage of type 2 diabetes mellitus to chromosome 10q. We genotyped 228 microsatellite markers in Icelandic individuals with type 2 diabetes and controls throughout a 10.5-Mb interval on 10q. A microsatellite, DG10S478, within intron 3 of the transcription factor 7-like 2 gene (TCF7L2; formerly TCF4) was associated with type 2 diabetes (P = 2.1 x 10(-9)). This was replicated in a Danish cohort (P = 4.8 x 10(-3)) and in a US cohort (P = 3.3 x 10(-9)). Compared with non-carriers, heterozygous and homozygous carriers of the at-risk alleles (38% and 7% of the population, respectively) have relative risks of 1.45 and 2.41. This corresponds to a population attributable risk of 21%. The TCF7L2 gene product is a high mobility group box-containing transcription factor previously implicated in blood glucose homeostasis. It is thought to act through regulation of proglucagon gene expression in enteroendocrine cells via the Wnt signaling pathway.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Haplotypes of transcription factor 7-like 2 (TCF7L2) gene and its upstream region are associated with type 2 diabetes and age of onset in Mexican Americans.
- Authors: Lehman DM, Hunt KJ, Leach RJ, Hamlington J, Arya R, Abboud HE, Duggirala R, Blangero J, Göring HH, Stern MP
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Association study of the genetic polymorphisms of the transcription factor 7-like 2 (TCF7L2) gene and type 2 diabetes in the Chinese population.
- Authors: Chang YC, Chang TJ, Jiang YD, Kuo SS, Lee KC, Chiu KC, Chuang LM
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- Loci of TCF7L2, HHEX and IDE on chromosome 10q and the susceptibility of their genetic polymorphisms to type 2 diabetes.
- Authors: Nordman S, Ostenson CG, Efendic S, Gu HF
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- The DG10S478 variant in the TCF7L2 gene is not associated with microvascular complications in type 2 diabetes.
- Authors: Buchbinder S, Rudofsky G Jr, Humpert PM, Schilling T, Zorn M, Bierhaus A, Nawroth PP
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Variant of transcription factor 7-like 2 (TCF7L2) gene and the risk of type 2 diabetes in large cohorts of U.S. women and men.
- Authors: Zhang C, Qi L, Hunter DJ, Meigs JB, Manson JE, van Dam RM, Hu FB
- Issue date: 2006 Sep