Autism spectrum disorders in children with a history of infantile spasms: a population-based study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ. Child Neurol. 2007, 22(9):1102-7
ÚtdrátturThe objective of this article is to describe autistic spectrum disorders in children diagnosed with infantile spasms in the first year of life. The source of data was the records of all 3 pediatric departments in Iceland. Twenty children born between 1981 and 1998 who had infantile spasms were invited to participate. When appropriate, the parents of these children were asked to complete the Social Communication Questionnaire. Children scoring 10 points or higher on the questionnaire were selected for further examination using the Autism Diagnostic Interview- Revised and either the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule or the Childhood Autism Rating Scale. All participants were given appropriate cognitive tests or measures of adaptive behavior. The parents of 17 children (10 boys, 7 girls) agreed to participate in the study. Age at assessment ranged from 5 to 19 years with a mean age of 11 years and 6 months. Fourteen children had at least one neurodevelopmental disorder. Six (6/17), or 35.3%, were diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (3 boys, 3 girls), five of these had a history of symptomatic infantile spasms, and four were profoundly mentally retarded (IQ/DQ<20). If the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder was restricted to children with a developmental age of 24 months or more (3 cases), the prevalence was 17.6%. The estimates found in this study exceed the estimated prevalence of autism spectrum disorder in the general population.
Lu00FDsingTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Risk of autism spectrum disorders after infantile spasms: a population-based study nested in a cohort with seizures in the first year of life.
- Authors: Saemundsen E, Ludvigsson P, Rafnsson V
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Autism spectrum disorders in children with seizures in the first year of life - a population-based study.
- Authors: Saemundsen E, Ludvigsson P, Hilmarsdottir I, Rafnsson V
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- Mitochondrial dysfunction in autism spectrum disorders: a population-based study.
- Authors: Oliveira G, Diogo L, Grazina M, Garcia P, Ataíde A, Marques C, Miguel T, Borges L, Vicente AM, Oliveira CR
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- The descriptive epidemiology of infantile spasms among Atlanta children.
- Authors: Trevathan E, Murphy CC, Yeargin-Allsopp M
- Issue date: 1999 Jun
- Epilepsy in young adults with autism: a prospective population-based follow-up study of 120 individuals diagnosed in childhood.
- Authors: Danielsson S, Gillberg IC, Billstedt E, Gillberg C, Olsson I
- Issue date: 2005 Jun