Mortality and morbidity of poisonings in the Nordic countries in 2002
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMortality and morbidity of poisonings in the Nordic countries in 2002. 2008, 46 (4):310-3notClin Toxicol (Phila)
AbstractAim. To map and compare mortality and morbidity of poisonings in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden in 2002 and to establish a common understanding of methods and procedures among the National Poisons Information Centres (NPIC) in order to create a Nordic toxico-epidemiological platform. Methods. Morbidity was for this study defined as acute poisonings treated in hospitals given the ICD-10 codes T36-T65 and F10-F19. The figures were extracted from the National Patient/Hospital Registers. Acute poisonings listed as main as well as side diagnoses were included. Deaths recorded as acute poisoning (using the same ICD-10 codes) were collected from the National Death Cause Registers. Results. Annual mortality of acute poisonings per 100,000 inhabitants (rate) was 16.6 in Finland and between 8.6 and 11.1 in the other Nordic countries. Morbidity rates varied between 150 and 255 per 100,000 inhabitants. Conclusion. The death rate due to acute poisoning was 50% higher in Finland compared to the rate in the other Nordic countries. The variable data between countries obtained for morbidity of acute poisonings need further elucidations to verify if the differences are real and not only due to heterogeneous procedures and practice for data collection and recording.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Poisonings in the Nordic countries in 2007: a 5-year epidemiological follow-up.
- Authors: Andrew E, Tellerup M, Termälä AM, Jacobsen P, Gudjonsdottir GA
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Fatal poisoning in drug addicts in the Nordic countries in 2007.
- Authors: Simonsen KW, Normann PT, Ceder G, Vuori E, Thordardottir S, Thelander G, Hansen AC, Teige B, Rollmann D
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 15
- [Acute poisonings in Norway 1999-2004--morbidity and mortality].
- Authors: Lilleeng GH, Berg KJ, Gjertsen F, Andrew E
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 19
- Fatal poisoning in Nordic drug addicts in 2002.
- Authors: Steentoft A, Teige B, Holmgren P, Vuori E, Kristinsson J, Hansen AC, Ceder G, Wethe G, Rollmann D
- Issue date: 2006 Jul 13
- Poisoning mortality in the United States: comparison of national mortality statistics and poison control center reports.
- Authors: Hoppe-Roberts JM, Lloyd LM, Chyka PA
- Issue date: 2000 May