Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
Other TitlesDiagnosis and treatment of hair pulling- and skin picking disorder
CitationLæknablaðið 2012, 98(3):155-62
AbstractHair pulling disorder (HPD; trichotillomania) is characterized by recurrent pulling of hair from the scalp, eyebrows or other parts of the body. Skin picking disorder (SPD) is closely related to HPD and involves re-current picking of the skin. Even though both HPD and SPD are relatively common and potentially severe disorders, health professionals typically know little about them. In the present article, we describe the clinical characteristics of these problems and provide diagnostic guidelines. We also discuss main treatment approaches (drug treatments and behavior therapy) and review research on their efficacy. Results show that behavior therapy (habit reversal) has consistently been shown to be effective, SSRIs seem not to work, but preliminary data suggest that other drugs (e.g. N-acetylcysteine) may benefit some patients.
Hárplokkunarárátta (hair pulling disorder, trichotillomania) einkennist af síendurteknu hárplokki af höfði, augabrúnum eða annars staðar af líkamanum. Húðkroppunarárátta (skin picking disorder, pathological skin picking) er náskyld hárplokkunaráráttu og einkennist af endurteknu kroppi á húð. Jafnvel þótt bæði húðkroppunar- og hárplokkunarárátta séu tiltölulega algengar og í mörgum tilvikum alvarleg vandamál er þekking fagfólks á þeim oft afar takmörkuð. Í greininni lýsum við greiningarskilmerkjum og klínískum einkennum þessara kvilla og förum yfir helstu meðferðarúrræði og rannsóknir á árangri þeirra. Niðurstöður sýna að atferlismeðferð hefur iðulega sýnt góðan árangur, SSRI-lyfjameðferð virðist ekki gera gagn en annars konar lyf (til dæmis N-acetylcystín) lofa góðu.
DescriptionNeðst á síðunni er hægt að nálgast greinina í heild sinni með því að smella á hlekkinn View/Open Allur texti - Full text
RightsArchived with thanks to Læknablađiđ
- Assessment and treatment of trichotillomania (hair pulling disorder) and excoriation (skin picking) disorder.
- Authors: Jones G, Keuthen N, Greenberg E
- Issue date: 2018 Nov - Dec
- An A-B-C model of habit disorders: hair-pulling, skin-picking, and other stereotypic conditions.
- Authors: Stein DJ, Chamberlain SR, Fineberg N
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- How related are hair pulling disorder (trichotillomania) and skin picking disorder? A review of evidence for comorbidity, similarities and shared etiology.
- Authors: Snorrason I, Belleau EL, Woods DW
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Trichotillomania: Bizzare Patern of Hair Loss at 11-Year-old Girl.
- Authors: Zímová J, Zímová P
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Trichotillomania and trichophagia - diagnosis, treatment, prevention. The attempt to establish guidelines of treatment in Poland.
- Authors: Gawłowska-Sawosz M, Wolski M, Kamiński A, Albrecht P, Wolańczyk T
- Issue date: 2016