Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsClapp, Joshua D
Olsen, Shira A
Beck, J Gayle
Palyo, Sarah A
Grant, DeMond M
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ. Anxiety. Disord. 2011, 25(1):96-105
AbstractAlthough long recognized in the clinical literature, problematic behavior characteristic of anxious drivers has received little empirical attention. The current research details development of a measure of anxious driving behavior conducted across three studies. Factor analytic techniques identified three dimensions of maladaptive behaviors across three college samples: anxiety-based performance deficits, exaggerated safety/caution behavior, and anxiety-related hostile/aggressive behavior. Performance deficits evidenced convergent associations with perceived driving skill and were broadly related to driving fear. Safety/caution behaviors demonstrated convergence with overt travel avoidance, although this relationship was inconsistent across studies. Safety/caution scores were associated specifically with accident- and social-related driving fears. Hostile/aggressive behaviors evidenced convergent relationships with driving anger and were associated specifically with accident-related fear. Internal consistencies were adequate, although some test-retest reliabilities were marginal in the unselected college sample. These data provide preliminary evidence for utility of the measure for both research and clinical practice.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field.
RightsArchived with thanks to Journal of anxiety disorders
- Factors contributing to anxious driving behavior: the role of stress history and accident severity.
- Authors: Clapp JD, Olsen SA, Danoff-Burg S, Hagewood JH, Hickling EJ, Hwang VS, Beck JG
- Issue date: 2011 May
- Properties of the Driving Behavior Survey among individuals with motor vehicle accident-related posttraumatic stress disorder.
- Authors: Clapp JD, Baker AS, Litwack SD, Sloan DM, Beck JG
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Problematic driving in former service members: An evaluation of the Driving Behavior Survey in veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder.
- Authors: Clapp JD, Sloan DM, Unger W, Lee DJ, Jun JJ, Litwack SD, Beck JG
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Driving anger in Malaysia.
- Authors: Sullman MJ, Stephens AN, Yong M
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Examining relationships between anxiety and dangerous driving.
- Authors: Dula CS, Adams CL, Miesner MT, Leonard RL
- Issue date: 2010 Nov