Large scale replication study of the association between HLA class II/BTNL2 variants and osteoarthritis of the knee in European-descent populations.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsValdes, Ana M
Morris, David L
Doherty, Sally A
Maciewicz, Rose A
Muir, Kenneth R
Dennison, Elaine M
Hart, Deborah J
Jonsson, Gudbjorn F
Vyse, Timothy J
Spector, Tim D
Arden, Nigel K
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPLoS ONE 2011, 6(8):e23371
AbstractOsteoarthritis (OA) is the most common form of arthritis and a major cause of disability. This study evaluates the association in Caucasian populations of two single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) mapping to the Human Leukocyte Antigen (HLA) region and deriving from a genome wide association scan (GWAS) of knee OA in Japanese populations. The frequencies for rs10947262 were compared in 36,408 controls and 5,749 knee OA cases from European-descent populations. rs7775228 was tested in 32,823 controls and 1,837 knee OA cases of European descent. The risk (major) allele at rs10947262 in Caucasian samples was not significantly associated with an odds ratio (OR) = 1.07 (95%CI 0.94 -1.21; p = 0.28). For rs7775228 the meta-analysis resulted in OR = 0.94 (95%CI 0.81-1.09; p = 0.42) for the allele associated with risk in the Japanese GWAS. In Japanese individuals these two SNPs are in strong linkage disequilibrium (LD) (r(2) = 0.86) with the HLA class II haplotype DRB1*1502 DQA1*0103 DQB1*0601 (frequency 8%). In Caucasian and Chinese samples, using imputed data, these SNPs appear not to be in LD with that haplotype (r(2)<0.07). The rs10947262 and rs7775228 variants are not associated with risk of knee OA in European descent populations and they do not appear tag the same HLA class II haplotype as they do in Japanese individuals.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field.
RightsArchived with thanks to PloS one
- Association of single-nucleotide polymorphisms in HLA class II/III region with knee osteoarthritis.
- Authors: Shi D, Zheng Q, Chen D, Zhu L, Qin A, Fan J, Liao J, Xu Z, Lin Z, Norman P, Xu J, Nakamura T, Dai K, Zheng M, Jiang Q
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- New sequence variants in HLA class II/III region associated with susceptibility to knee osteoarthritis identified by genome-wide association study.
- Authors: Nakajima M, Takahashi A, Kou I, Rodriguez-Fontenla C, Gomez-Reino JJ, Furuichi T, Dai J, Sudo A, Uchida A, Fukui N, Kubo M, Kamatani N, Tsunoda T, Malizos KN, Tsezou A, Gonzalez A, Nakamura Y, Ikegawa S
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 18
- Butyrophilin-like 2 gene is associated with ulcerative colitis in the Japanese under strong linkage disequilibrium with HLA-DRB1*1502.
- Authors: Mochida A, Kinouchi Y, Negoro K, Takahashi S, Takagi S, Nomura E, Kakuta Y, Tosa M, Shimosegawa T
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- Genetic characterization and susceptibility for sarcoidosis in Japanese patients: risk factors of BTNL2 gene polymorphisms and HLA class II alleles.
- Authors: Suzuki H, Ota M, Meguro A, Katsuyama Y, Kawagoe T, Ishihara M, Asukata Y, Takeuchi M, Ito N, Shibuya E, Nomura E, Uemoto R, Nishide T, Namba K, Kitaichi N, Morimoto S, Kaburaki T, Ando Y, Takenaka S, Nakamura J, Saeki K, Ohno S, Inoko H, Mizuki N
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 11
- Sex and ethnic differences in the association of ASPN, CALM1, COL2A1, COMP, and FRZB with genetic susceptibility to osteoarthritis of the knee.
- Authors: Valdes AM, Loughlin J, Oene MV, Chapman K, Surdulescu GL, Doherty M, Spector TD
- Issue date: 2007 Jan