Cardiac myxoma in Iceland: a case series with an estimation of population incidence.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAPMIS. 2011, 119(9):611-7
AbstractCardiac myxoma (CM) is the most common primary benign tumor of the heart, but the true age-standardized incidence rate (ASR) has remained unknown. We therefore used nationwide registries in Iceland to study CM and establish its incidence rate. This was a retrospective study involving all patients diagnosed with CM in Iceland between 1986 and 2010. Cases were identified through three different registries, and hospital charts and histology results reviewed. An ASR was estimated based on a world standard population (w). Nine cases of CM (six women) were identified with a mean age of 62.8 years (range: 37-85), giving an ASR of 0.11 (95% CI: 0.05-0.22) per 100,000. The mean tumor size was 4.4 cm (range: 1.5-8.0) with all the tumors located in the left atrium. Dyspnea (n = 6) and ischemic stroke (n = 2) were the most common symptoms. All patients underwent complete resection of the tumor and there were no postoperative deaths or CM-related deaths at follow-up (mean 85 months). The ASR of CM in Iceland was 0.11 per 100,000. To our knowledge, this is the first study to determine the incidence of CM in an entire population. In Iceland, the presenting symptoms and mode of detection of CM are similar to those in other series.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field.
RightsArchived with thanks to APMIS : acta pathologica, microbiologica, et immunologica Scandinavica
- Thymic epithelial tumours in Iceland: incidence and histopathology, a population-based study.
- Authors: Mariusdottir E, Nikulasson S, Bjornsson J, Gudbjartsson T
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- [Cardiac myxoma: surgical results and 15-year clinical follow-up].
- Authors: Scrofani R, Carro C, Villa L, Botta M, Antona C
- Issue date: 2002 Jul
- [Cardiac myxoma: clinical characterization, diagnostic methods and late surgical results].
- Authors: Becker R P, Ramírez M A, Zalaquett S R, Moran V S, Irarrázaval Ll MJ, Arretz V C, Córdova A S, Arnaiz G P
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Incidences and surgical aspects of cardiac myxomas in Bulgaria.
- Authors: Tschirkov A, Michev B, Topalov V, Michailov D, Jurukova Z, Petkov R
- Issue date: 1990 Aug
- Surgery for cardiac tumours: the University of Ottawa Heart Institute experience (1980-91).
- Authors: Wiatrowska BA, Walley VM, Masters RG, Goldstein W, Keon WJ
- Issue date: 1993 Jan-Feb