Epidemiology and treatment of distal radius fractures in Reykjavik, Iceland, in 2004. Comparison with an Icelandic study from 1985.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationActa Orthop. 2011, 82(4):494-8
AbstractBACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: Recent literature suggests that the incidence and treatment modalities of distal radius fractures have been changing over the past 2 decades in the developed world. We examined the epidemiology of adult distal radius fractures in Iceland in 2004 and compared it with an Icelandic study from 1985 and other studies. METHODS: A retrospective study of the epidemiology, classification, and treatment of distal radius fractures in Reykjavik residents aged 16 and older in 2004 was conducted by analysis of medical records and re-evaluation of all radiographic examinations. RESULTS: The 228 fractures included in our material yielded an overall annual incidence of 17/10(4) in men and 37/10(4) in women. Age-specific incidence rose steadily with age in both sexes. One third of the fractures were intraarticular, and working-age men accounted for a large proportion of them. 95% of fractures were treated nonoperatively. INTERPRETATION: The annual incidence of distal radius fractures was similar in 1985 and 2004. However, age-specific incidence in younger postmenopausal women decreased sharply. This trend has also been observed in recent Scandinavian studies. Most fractures were treated nonoperatively in Iceland in 2004.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field.
RightsArchived with thanks to Acta orthopaedica
- Epidemiology of distal radius fractures in Iceland in 1985.
- Authors: Róbertsson GO, Jónsson GT, Sigurjónsson K
- Issue date: 1990 Oct
- Distal radius fractures: an epidemiological review.
- Authors: Koo OT, Tan DM, Chong AK
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Epidemiology and changed surgical treatment methods for fractures of the distal radius: a registry analysis of 42,583 patients in Stockholm County, Sweden, 2004–2010.
- Authors: Wilcke MK, Hammarberg H, Adolphson PY
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Epidemiology and seasonal variation of distal radius fractures in Oulu, Finland.
- Authors: Flinkkilä T, Sirniö K, Hippi M, Hartonen S, Ruuhela R, Ohtonen P, Hyvönen P, Leppilahti J
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Significant change in the surgical treatment of distal radius fractures: a nationwide study between 1998 and 2008 in Finland.
- Authors: Mattila VM, Huttunen TT, Sillanpää P, Niemi S, Pihlajamäki H, Kannus P
- Issue date: 2011 Oct