Natural history of functional gastrointestinal disorders: comparison of two longitudinal population-based studies.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsOlafsdottir, Linda Bjork
Jonsdottir, Heidur Hrund
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDig. Liver Dis. 2012, 44(3):211-7
AbstractBACKGROUND: Functional gastrointestinal disorders are common but information on their natural history is limited. AIMS: To document the natural history of functional gastrointestinal disorders in a population based study and to compare with the Olmsted County study. METHOD: A questionnaire was mailed to the same age- and gender-stratified random sample of the Icelandic population aged 18-75 in 1996 and 2006. Results were compared to the Olmsted County study. RESULTS: Prevalence of functional gastrointestinal disorder symptoms was stable between these periods in time: 16.9% and 17.2% for irritable bowel syndrome, and 4.8% and 6.1% for functional dyspepsia. Onset of each disorder was more often higher in the Olmsted County study than in Iceland. Disappearance rates were similar for both studies. Transition probabilities varied across the different subgroups and were different between studies. The same proportion had the same symptoms in the initial and final studies. More subjects had no symptoms in Iceland (52% vs. 40%) and different symptoms at follow up (38% vs. 23%). CONCLUSION: Prevalence of functional gastrointestinal disorder symptoms was stable over time but the turnover in symptoms was high. A higher number of subjects had no symptoms in Iceland than in Olmsted County and there was a greater variation in subjects having different symptoms at follow up.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field.
RightsArchived with thanks to Digestive and liver disease : official journal of the Italian Society of Gastroenterology and the Italian Association for the Study of the Liver
- Natural history of functional gastrointestinal disorders: a 12-year longitudinal population-based study.
- Authors: Halder SL, Locke GR 3rd, Schleck CD, Zinsmeister AR, Melton LJ 3rd, Talley NJ
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- [Epidemiological study of functional bowel disorders in Iceland].
- Authors: Olafsdóttir LB, Gudjónsson H, Thjódleifsson B
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Overlap of gastrointestinal symptom complexes in a US community.
- Authors: Locke GR 3rd, Zinsmeister AR, Fett SL, Melton LJ 3rd, Talley NJ
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- Functional gastrointestinal disorders in children: an Italian prospective survey.
- Authors: Miele E, Simeone D, Marino A, Greco L, Auricchio R, Novek SJ, Staiano A
- Issue date: 2004 Jul
- Differences between painless and painful constipation among community women.
- Authors: Bharucha AE, Locke GR, Zinsmeister AR, Seide BM, McKeon K, Schleck CD, Melton LJ 3rd
- Issue date: 2006 Mar