Tissue MicroArray analyses of pancreatic duodenal homeobox-1 in human cancers
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationWorld J Surg 2005, 29(3):334-8
AbstractIn previous studies, we demonstrated that rat insulin promoter (RIP)-driven gene therapy successfully targeted human pancreatic tumor PANC-1 cells and mouse insulinoma NIT-1 cells, which are both pancreatic duodenal homeobox-1 (PDX-1)-positive. The purpose of this study was to perform a human tissue array analysis to determine potential targets for RIP-driven gene therapy. A custom-designed tissue MicroArray analysis of various human cancer specimens was performed using a PDX-1 polyclonal antibody generated in our laboratory. The custom-designed Tissue MicroArray of human tumor specimens consists of human cancer specimens from different origins, such as the pancreas, breast, colon, prostate, kidney, liver, lung, and ovary. A panel of normal human specimens from 20 organs or tissues was used as a control. All tissues were fixed in formalin and embedded in paraffin. The immunohistochemistry studies of the cytoplasm and the nuclear expression levels were compared using the Loda method and blind reviews. Data are presented as the mean +/- SEM (p < 0.05 was considered significant by the unpaired student t-test). PDX-1 expression intensity was elevated in both benign and malignant tissues from the same patient with pancreas, breast, colon, prostate, and kidney cancers, whereas normal human tissues from control subjects without cancer did not express PDX-1. These results suggest that PDX-1 is an early marker for these cancers and could be potentially used as a diagnostic parameter and perhaps could be targeted by PDX-1-activated gene therapies, such as RIP-TK.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Cell-specific cytotoxicity of human pancreatic adenocarcinoma cells using rat insulin promoter thymidine kinase-directed gene therapy.
- Authors: Tirone TA, Wang XP, Templeton NS, Lee T, Nguyen L, Fisher W, Brunicardi FC
- Issue date: 2004 Aug
- Specific gene expression and therapy for pancreatic cancer using the cytosine deaminase gene directed by the rat insulin promoter.
- Authors: Wang XP, Yazawa K, Yang J, Kohn D, Fisher WE, Brunicardi FC
- Issue date: 2004 Jan
- Pancreas duodenal homeobox-1 expression and significance in pancreatic cancer.
- Authors: Liu T, Gou SM, Wang CY, Wu HS, Xiong JX, Zhou F
- Issue date: 2007 May 14
- Metformin Restrains Pancreatic Duodenal Homeobox-1 (PDX-1) Function by Inhibiting ERK Signaling in Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Zhou G, Yu J, Wang A, Liu SH, Sinnett-Smith J, Wu J, Sanchez R, Nemunaitis J, Ricordi C, Rozengurt E, Brunicardi FC
- Issue date: 2016
- PDX-1 is a therapeutic target for pancreatic cancer, insulinoma and islet neoplasia using a novel RNA interference platform.
- Authors: Liu SH, Rao DD, Nemunaitis J, Senzer N, Zhou G, Dawson D, Gingras MC, Wang Z, Gibbs R, Norman M, Templeton NS, Demayo FJ, O'Malley B, Sanchez R, Fisher WE, Brunicardi FC
- Issue date: 2012