Psychosocial functioning and psychiatric comorbidity among substance-abusing Icelandic adolescents
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationNord J Psychiatry. 2001, 55(1):43-8
AbstractOur objectives were to compare behaviour problem scores (BPS) for Icelandic adolescents admitted for detoxification treatment for alcohol and narcotic abuse as compared with the general population, in accordance with the Youth Self Report (YSR), and to describe psychosocial functioning and psychiatric comorbidity for the treated adolescents. The case series consisted of 103 adolescents, ages 12-18 years, who completed the YSR at the end of a 10-day stay at the National Hospital of Addiction Medicine. The total BPS tallied from the YSR items was compared with scores for the general population. The psychiatric comorbidity and psychosocial functioning of the case series were assessed through diagnostic interviews in accordance with DSM-IV and ICD-10 criteria. The BPS for the 36 treated girls was significantly higher than for the general population (104 versus 36) and higher than for the 56 treated boys (82 versus 56) with 2 standard deviations above the norm for the population. Three-quarters of the adolescents had psychiatric comorbidity: conduct disorder (44%), depression (28%), or posttraumatic stress disorder (11%). The findings support the discriminative validity of the YSR as part of a structured global assessment of substance-abusing adolescents, in particular to identify the frequently present psychiatric comorbidities.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Gender differences in psychiatric comorbidity among adolescents with substance use disorders.
- Authors: Latimer WW, Stone AL, Voight A, Winters KC, August GJ
- Issue date: 2002 Aug
- Comorbidity of drug dependence and other mental disorders: a two-phase study of prevalence at outpatient treatment centres in Italy.
- Authors: Pozzi G, Bacigalupi M, Tempesta E
- Issue date: 1997 Jun 6
- Psychiatric comorbidity in hospitalized adolescent substance abusers.
- Authors: Hovens JG, Cantwell DP, Kiriakos R
- Issue date: 1994 May
- [Co-morbidity: psychiatric disorder of opiate addicts at entry into heroin-assisted treatment].
- Authors: Frei A, Rehm J, Arbeitsgruppe HeGeBe Doppeldiagnosen.
- Issue date: 2002 Jul
- Health-related quality of life in children and adolescents who have a diagnosis of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
- Authors: Klassen AF, Miller A, Fine S
- Issue date: 2004 Nov