Poisonings in the Nordic countries in 2007: a 5-year epidemiological follow-up.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationClin Toxicol (Phila) 2012, 50 (3):210-4
AbstractTo map mortality and morbidity of poisonings in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden in 2007 and undertake a comparison with a corresponding study in 2002. Morbidity was as for 2002 defined as acute poisoning (ICD-10 codes, main and subsidiary diagnoses) treated in hospitals. The figures were extracted from the National Patient/Hospital Registers. Deaths recorded as acute poisoning (using corresponding ICD-10 codes) were collected from the National Cause of Death Registers. Annual mortality of acute poisonings per 100,000 inhabitants (rate) for 2007 was 22.4 in Finland, an important increase from 16.7 per 100,000 in 2002. The increase was mainly due to a change in coding of alcohol, but also represented a slight increase in fatal alcohol intoxications per se. The poisoning death rate in the other Nordic countries varied between 8-13 and was at the same level as for 2002. The morbidity rates for 2007 between 158-285 per 100,000 inhabitants represented a slight increase compared to 2002 figures. The increase in poisoning death rate for alcohol, and thus total rate in Finland in 2007 compared to 2002, has further increased the gap to the other Nordic countries. Poisoning morbidity rates in the Nordic countries are of the same level, but the variability shown indicates that more harmonization and collaboration is needed to increase the data quality.
RightsArchived with thanks to Clinical toxicology (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Mortality and morbidity of poisonings in the Nordic countries in 2002.
- Authors: Andrew E, Irestedt B, Hurri T, Jacobsen P, Gudjonsdottir G
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Fatal poisoning in drug addicts in the Nordic countries in 2007.
- Authors: Simonsen KW, Normann PT, Ceder G, Vuori E, Thordardottir S, Thelander G, Hansen AC, Teige B, Rollmann D
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 15
- Fatal poisoning in Nordic drug addicts in 2002.
- Authors: Steentoft A, Teige B, Holmgren P, Vuori E, Kristinsson J, Hansen AC, Ceder G, Wethe G, Rollmann D
- Issue date: 2006 Jul 13
- [Acute poisonings in Norway 1999-2004--morbidity and mortality].
- Authors: Lilleeng GH, Berg KJ, Gjertsen F, Andrew E
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 19
- Fatal poisoning in drug addicts in the Nordic countries in 2012.
- Authors: Simonsen KW, Edvardsen HM, Thelander G, Ojanperä I, Thordardottir S, Andersen LV, Kriikku P, Vindenes V, Christoffersen D, Delaveris GJ, Frost J
- Issue date: 2015 Mar