Alpha-2 adrenergic antagonism enhances risk of ventricular tachycardia during acute ischemia
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationScand. Cardiovasc. J. 2007, 41(6):378-85
AbstractOBJECTIVE: In this study we tested the hypothesis that alpha-2 adrenergic antagonism could facilitate induction of previously non-inducible ventricular tachycardia (VT) during acute ischemia. Previous reports suggest that VT during ischemia may be modulated by (alpha-2 adrenergic agonists. DESIGN: The left anterior descending artery was occluded after instrumentation of the ischemic risk zone with 21 multipolar plunge needles, each recording 6 bipolar electrograms. Three dimensional mapping characterized the mechanism of VT induced with extrastimuli. RESULTS: Of 16 non-inducible dogs included, eight which were given the alpha-2 adrenergic antagonist yohimbine all had inducible VT, while all eight in the control group remained non-inducible (p < 0.05). Six of the VTs were of focal Purkinje origin. The cycle length of the VTwas 119 +/- 4 ms. Mean arterial pressure (81+/- 8 to 82 +/- 8 mmHg, p = ns), ventricular effective refractory period (146 +/- 6 to 144 +/- 5 ms, p = ns) and ischemic zone size (55 +/-6% vs. 61 +/- 4%, p = 0.45) were not altered by yohimbine indicating minimal central or pre-junctional effects of the drug. CONCLUSIONS: Yohimbine facilitates induction of VT, especially those with focal Purkinje fiber origin, suggestive of an effect mediated through antagonism of post-junctional alpha-2 adrenoceptors on Purkinje fibers.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field
- Role of the Purkinje system in spontaneous ventricular tachycardia during acute ischemia in a canine model.
- Authors: Arnar DO, Bullinga JR, Martins JB
- Issue date: 1997 Oct 7
- Prevention of ischemic ventricular tachycardia of Purkinje origin: role for alpha(2)-adrenoceptors in Purkinje?
- Authors: Arnar DO, Xing D, Lee H, Martins JB
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- ZP123 increases gap junctional conductance and prevents reentrant ventricular tachycardia during myocardial ischemia in open chest dogs.
- Authors: Xing D, Kjølbye AL, Nielsen MS, Petersen JS, Harlow KW, Holstein-Rathlou NH, Martins JB
- Issue date: 2003 May
- Purkinje involvement in arrhythmias after coronary artery reperfusion.
- Authors: Arnar DO, Martins JB
- Issue date: 2002 Apr
- Triggered activity due to delayed afterdepolarizations in sites of focal origin of ischemic ventricular tachycardia.
- Authors: Xing D, Martins JB
- Issue date: 2004 Nov