Discovery of common variants associated with low TSH levels and thyroid cancer risk.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Gudbjartsson, Daniel F
Jonasson, Jon G
Stacey, Simon N
Helgadottir, Hafdis Th
Ringel, Matthew D
Kloos, Richard T
de Visser, Marieke C H
Plantinga, Theo S
den Heijer, Martin
De Juan, Ana
Walters, G Bragi
Eyjolfsson, Gudmundur I
Bjornsdottir, Unnur S
Magnusson, Olafur T
Gulcher, Jeffrey R
Kiemeney, Lambertus A L M
Mayordomo, Jose I
Netea-Maier, Romana T
de la Chapelle, Albert
MetadataShow full item record
CitationNat. Genet. 2012, 44(3):319-22
ÚtdrátturTo search for sequence variants conferring risk of nonmedullary thyroid cancer, we focused our analysis on 22 SNPs with a P < 5 × 10(-8) in a genome-wide association study on levels of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) in 27,758 Icelanders. Of those, rs965513 has previously been shown to associate with thyroid cancer. The remaining 21 SNPs were genotyped in 561 Icelandic individuals with thyroid cancer (cases) and up to 40,013 controls. Variants suggestively associated with thyroid cancer (P < 0.05) were genotyped in an additional 595 non-Icelandic cases and 2,604 controls. After combining the results, three variants were shown to associate with thyroid cancer: rs966423 on 2q35 (OR = 1.34; P(combined) = 1.3 × 10(-9)), rs2439302 on 8p12 (OR = 1.36; P(combined) = 2.0 × 10(-9)) and rs116909374 on 14q13.3 (OR = 2.09; P(combined) = 4.6 × 10(-11)), a region previously reported to contain an uncorrelated variant conferring risk of thyroid cancer. A strong association (P = 9.1 × 10(-91)) was observed between rs2439302 on 8p12 and expression of NRG1, which encodes the signaling protein neuregulin 1, in blood.
Lu00FDsingTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field.
RightsArchived with thanks to Nature genetics
- Confirmation of papillary thyroid cancer susceptibility loci identified by genome-wide association studies of chromosomes 14q13, 9q22, 2q35 and 8p12 in a Chinese population.
- Authors: Wang YL, Feng SH, Guo SC, Wei WJ, Li DS, Wang Y, Wang X, Wang ZY, Ma YY, Jin L, Ji QH, Wang JC
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- The common genetic variant rs944289 on chromosome 14q13.3 associates with risk of both malignant and benign thyroid tumors in the Japanese population.
- Authors: Rogounovitch TI, Bychkov A, Takahashi M, Mitsutake N, Nakashima M, Nikitski AV, Hayashi T, Hirokawa M, Ishigaki K, Shigematsu K, Bogdanova T, Matsuse M, Nishihara E, Minami S, Yamanouchi K, Ito M, Kawaguchi T, Kondo H, Takamura N, Ito Y, Miyauchi A, Matsuda F, Yamashita S, Saenko VA
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Thyroid cancer susceptibility polymorphisms: confirmation of loci on chromosomes 9q22 and 14q13, validation of a recessive 8q24 locus and failure to replicate a locus on 5q24.
- Authors: Jones AM, Howarth KM, Martin L, Gorman M, Mihai R, Moss L, Auton A, Lemon C, Mehanna H, Mohan H, Clarke SE, Wadsley J, Macias E, Coatesworth A, Beasley M, Roques T, Martin C, Ryan P, Gerrard G, Power D, Bremmer C, TCUKIN Consortium., Tomlinson I, Carvajal-Carmona LG
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma: Association Between Germline DNA Variant Markers and Clinical Parameters.
- Authors: Jendrzejewski J, Liyanarachchi S, Nagy R, Senter L, Wakely PE, Thomas A, Nabhan F, He H, Li W, Sworczak K, Ringel MD, Kirschner LS, de la Chapelle A
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Fine-mapping of two differentiated thyroid carcinoma susceptibility loci at 9q22.33 and 14q13.3 detects novel candidate functional SNPs in Europeans from metropolitan France and Melanesians from New Caledonia.
- Authors: Tcheandjieu C, Lesueur F, Sanchez M, Baron-Dubourdieu D, Guizard AV, Mulot C, Laurent-Puig P, Schvartz C, Truong T, Guenel P
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 1