Thrombosis is associated with inferior survival in multiple myeloma.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHaematologica 2012, 97(10):1603-7
AbstractPatients with multiple myeloma are at an increased risk of venous thromboembolism and arterial thrombosis. We assessed the impact of venous and arterial thrombosis on survival in a population-based study of 9,399 multiple myeloma patients diagnosed in Sweden from 1987 to 2005. We found multiple myeloma patients with venous thromboembolism to have a higher mortality at 1-, 5-, and 10-years of follow up compared with those without, with hazard ratios of 2.9 (95% confidence interval (CI) 2.4-3.5), 1.6 (95% CI: 1.5-1.8), and 1.6 (95% CI: 1.4-1.7), respectively. There was an increase in risk of death among multiple myeloma patients with arterial thrombosis, with hazard ratios of 3.4 (95% CI: 3.0-3.8), 2.2 (95% CI: 2.0-2.3), and 2.1 (95% CI: 1.9-2.1), respectively. In landmark analyses at six months, early arterial but not venous thromboembolism was associated with a higher risk of death. Thus, in contrast to prior smaller studies, we found the development of thrombosis to be associated with significantly poorer survival. The prevention of thrombosis in multiple myeloma is an important goal in the management of these patients.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field.
RightsArchived with thanks to Haematologica
- Myeloma and thrombotic complications.
- Authors: Tzoran I, Brenner B, Hoffman R
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- Arterial and venous thrombosis in monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance and multiple myeloma: a population-based study.
- Authors: Kristinsson SY, Pfeiffer RM, Björkholm M, Goldin LR, Schulman S, Blimark C, Mellqvist UH, Wahlin A, Turesson I, Landgren O
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 17
- Thrombosis in multiple myeloma.
- Authors: Kristinsson SY
- Issue date: 2010
- Elevated risk of venous but not arterial thrombosis in Waldenström macroglobulinemia/lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma.
- Authors: Hultcrantz M, Pfeiffer RM, Björkholm M, Goldin LR, Turesson I, Schulman S, Landgren O, Kristinsson SY
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- The Role of Diagnosis and Clinical Follow-up of Monoclonal Gammopathy of Undetermined Significance on Survival in Multiple Myeloma.
- Authors: Sigurdardottir EE, Turesson I, Lund SH, Lindqvist EK, Mailankody S, Korde N, Björkholm M, Landgren O, Kristinsson SY
- Issue date: 2015 May