The KL-VS sequence variant of Klotho and cancer risk in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Kuchenbaecker, Karoline B
Godwin, Andrew K
Schmutzler, Rita K
Nathanson, Katherine L
Caligo, Maria Adelaide
Neuhausen, Susan L
Sinilnikova, Olga M
Easton, Douglas F
Antoniou, Antonis C
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBreast Cancer Res. Treat. 2012, 132(3):1119-26
AbstractKlotho (KL) is a putative tumor suppressor gene in breast and pancreatic cancers located at chromosome 13q12. A functional sequence variant of Klotho (KL-VS) was previously reported to modify breast cancer risk in Jewish BRCA1 mutation carriers. The effect of this variant on breast and ovarian cancer risks in non-Jewish BRCA1/BRCA2 mutation carriers has not been reported. The KL-VS variant was genotyped in women of European ancestry carrying a BRCA mutation: 5,741 BRCA1 mutation carriers (2,997 with breast cancer, 705 with ovarian cancer, and 2,039 cancer free women) and 3,339 BRCA2 mutation carriers (1,846 with breast cancer, 207 with ovarian cancer, and 1,286 cancer free women) from 16 centers. Genotyping was accomplished using TaqMan(®) allelic discrimination or matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Data were analyzed within a retrospective cohort approach, stratified by country of origin and Ashkenazi Jewish origin. The per-allele hazard ratio (HR) for breast cancer was 1.02 (95% CI 0.93-1.12, P = 0.66) for BRCA1 mutation carriers and 0.92 (95% CI 0.82-1.04, P = 0.17) for BRCA2 mutation carriers. Results remained unaltered when analysis excluded prevalent breast cancer cases. Similarly, the per-allele HR for ovarian cancer was 1.01 (95% CI 0.84-1.20, P = 0.95) for BRCA1 mutation carriers and 0.9 (95% CI 0.66-1.22, P = 0.45) for BRCA2 mutation carriers. The risk did not change when carriers of the 6174delT mutation were excluded. There was a lack of association of the KL-VS Klotho variant with either breast or ovarian cancer risk in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers.
DescriptionTo access publisher full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field.
RightsArchived with thanks to Breast cancer research and treatment
- Functional variant of KLOTHO: a breast cancer risk modifier among BRCA1 mutation carriers of Ashkenazi origin.
- Authors: Wolf I, Laitman Y, Rubinek T, Abramovitz L, Novikov I, Beeri R, Kuro-O M, Koeffler HP, Catane R, Freedman LS, Levy-Lahad E, Karlan BY, Friedman E, Kaufman B
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 7
- Ovarian cancer risk in Ashkenazi Jewish carriers of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations.
- Authors: Satagopan JM, Boyd J, Kauff ND, Robson M, Scheuer L, Narod S, Offit K
- Issue date: 2002 Dec
- The CYP17A1 -34T > C polymorphism and breast cancer risk in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers.
- Authors: Kaufman B, Laitman Y, Ziv E, Hamann U, Torres D, Lahad EL, Beeri R, Renbaum P, Jakubowska A, Lubinski J, Huzarski T, Tołoczko-Grabarek A, Jaworska K, Durda K, Sprudle AB, Chenevix-Trench G, Simard J, Easton DF, Antonis A, Szabo C, Friedman E
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Cancer risks for BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers: results from prospective analysis of EMBRACE.
- Authors: Mavaddat N, Peock S, Frost D, Ellis S, Platte R, Fineberg E, Evans DG, Izatt L, Eeles RA, Adlard J, Davidson R, Eccles D, Cole T, Cook J, Brewer C, Tischkowitz M, Douglas F, Hodgson S, Walker L, Porteous ME, Morrison PJ, Side LE, Kennedy MJ, Houghton C, Donaldson A, Rogers MT, Dorkins H, Miedzybrodzka Z, Gregory H, Eason J, Barwell J, McCann E, Murray A, Antoniou AC, Easton DF, EMBRACE.
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 5
- Difference in Risk of Breast and Ovarian Cancer According to Putative Functional Domain Regions in Korean BRCA1/2 Mutation Carriers.
- Authors: Park JS, Lee ST, Han JW, Kim TI, Nam EJ, Park HS
- Issue date: 2018 Oct