Intracellular metabolite profiling of platelets: evaluation of extraction processes and chromatographic strategies.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Sigurjónsson, Olafur E
Palsson, Bernhard Ø
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ. Chromatogr. B Analyt. Technol. Biomed. Life Sci. 2012, 898:111-20
AbstractAn extraction method for intracellular metabolite profiling should ideally be able to recover the broadest possible range of metabolites present in a sample. However, the development of such methods is hampered by the diversity of the physico-chemical properties of metabolites as well as by the specific characteristics of samples and cells. In this study, we report the optimization of an UPLC-MS method for the metabolite analysis of platelet samples. The optimal analytical protocol was determined by testing seven different extraction methods as well as by employing two different LC-MS methods, in which the metabolites were separated by using hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography (HILIC) and reversed phase liquid chromatography (RPLC). The optimal conditions were selected using the coverage of the platelets' metabolome, the response of the identified metabolites, the reproducibility of the analytical method, and the time of the analysis as main evaluation criteria. Our results show that methanol-water (7:3) extraction coupled with HILIC-MS method provides the best compromise, allowing identification of 107 metabolites in a platelet cell extract sample, 91% of them with a RSD% lower than 20. A higher number of metabolites could be detected when analyzing the platelet samples with two different LC-MS methods or when using complementary extraction methods in parallel.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field.
RightsArchived with thanks to Journal of chromatography. B, Analytical technologies in the biomedical and life sciences
- Metabolic profiling of Klebsiella oxytoca: evaluation of methods for extraction of intracellular metabolites using UPLC/Q-TOF-MS.
- Authors: Park C, Yun S, Lee SY, Park K, Lee J
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- Assessment of compatibility between extraction methods for NMR- and LC/MS-based metabolomics.
- Authors: Beltran A, Suarez M, Rodríguez MA, Vinaixa M, Samino S, Arola L, Correig X, Yanes O
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 17
- Analysis of skeletal muscle metabolome: evaluation of extraction methods for targeted metabolite quantification using liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry.
- Authors: El Rammouz R, Létisse F, Durand S, Portais JC, Moussa ZW, Fernandez X
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 15
- Quantitative evaluation of intracellular metabolite extraction techniques for yeast metabolomics.
- Authors: Canelas AB, ten Pierick A, Ras C, Seifar RM, van Dam JC, van Gulik WM, Heijnen JJ
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 1
- Differential 12C-/13C-isotope dansylation labeling and fast liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry for absolute and relative quantification of the metabolome.
- Authors: Guo K, Li L
- Issue date: 2009 May 15