Cerebral microbleeds and age-related macular degeneration: the AGES-Reykjavik Study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Cotch, Mary Frances
Klein, Barbara E K
Harris, Tamara B
van Buchem, Mark A
Launer, Lenore J
MetadataShow full item record
CitationNeurobiol. Aging 2012, 33(12):2935-7
AbstractWe test the hypothesis that cerebral microbleeds (CMB) and age-related macular degeneration (AMD), both linked to amyloid-β deposition, are correlated. This study includes 4205 participants (mean age 76.2; 57.8% women) in the Age, Gene/Environment Susceptibility (AGES)-Reykjavik Study (2002-2006). CMB were assessed from magnetic resonance images, and AMD was assessed using digital retinal images. Data were analyzed with multinomial logistic models controlling for major confounders. Evidence of CMB was detected in 476 persons (272 with strict lobar CMB and 204 with nonlobar CMB). AMD was detected in 1098 persons (869 with early AMD, 140 with exudative AMD, and 89 with pure geographic atrophy). Early and exudative AMD were not associated with CMB. The adjusted odds ratio of pure geographic atrophy was 1.62 (95% confidence interval 0.93-2.82, p = 0.089) for having any CMB, 1.43 (0.66-3.06, p = 0.363) for strict lobar CMB, and 1.85 (0.89-3.87, p = 0.100) for nonlobar CMB. This study provides no evidence that amyloid deposits in the brain and AMD are correlated. However, the suggestive association of geographic atrophy with CMB warrants further investigation.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field.
RightsArchived with thanks to Neurobiology of aging
- Differential associations between retinal signs and CMBs by location: The AGES-Reykjavik Study.
- Authors: Qiu C, Ding J, Sigurdsson S, Fisher DE, Zhang Q, Eiriksdottir G, Klein R, van Buchem MA, Gudnason V, Cotch MF, Launer LJ
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 9
- Prevalence of age-related macular degeneration in old persons: Age, Gene/environment Susceptibility Reykjavik Study.
- Authors: Jonasson F, Arnarsson A, Eiríksdottir G, Harris TB, Launer LJ, Meuer SM, Klein BE, Klein R, Gudnason V, Cotch MF
- Issue date: 2011 May
- Serum carboxymethyllysine, an advanced glycation end product, and age-related macular degeneration: the Age, Gene/Environment Susceptibility-Reykjavik Study.
- Authors: Semba RD, Cotch MF, Gudnason V, Eiríksdottir G, Harris TB, Sun K, Klein R, Jonasson F, Ferrucci L, Schaumberg DA
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 1
- Five-year incidence, progression, and risk factors for age-related macular degeneration: the age, gene/environment susceptibility study.
- Authors: Jonasson F, Fisher DE, Eiriksdottir G, Sigurdsson S, Klein R, Launer LJ, Harris T, Gudnason V, Cotch MF
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Association between cerebral microbleeds and hypertension in the Swedish general population "Good Aging in Skåne" study.
- Authors: Elmståhl S, Ellström K, Siennicki-Lantz A, Abul-Kasim K
- Issue date: 2019 Aug