The changing gender gap in substance use disorder: a total population-based study of psychiatric in-patients.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAddiction 2012, 107(11):1957-62
AbstractTo study changes over a 25-year period in the gender gap in discharge diagnoses of alcohol use disorder (AUD) and other substance use disorder (SUD) in psychiatric in-patients. A register-based study of all admissions to psychiatric hospitals in Iceland between January 1983 and December 2007. Annual rate of admissions to psychiatric hospitals, adjusted for changes in the size of the population. Furthermore, gender-specific analysis of changes in discharge diagnoses of AUD solely and other SUD (including AUD with other SUDs). Of all psychiatric admissions, the proportion of any SUD admissions increased considerably during the study period. This increase was most pronounced in SUDs other than solely AUD. AUD increased for women and decreased for men. The male to female ratio of AUD alone decreased from 4.2 to 1.5 (P < 0.001). There was no significant change in the gender gap for other SUDs (P = 0.96). There has been a marked convergence of the gender gap in discharge diagnosis of alcohol use disorder among psychiatric in-patients in Iceland over the last decades. For other substance use disorders, the change was not as pronounced. Our results emphasize the importance of monitoring changes in substance use disorder diagnosis as this may uncover different treatment needs in this group of vulnerable individuals.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field.
RightsArchived with thanks to Addiction (Abingdon, England)
- Total population-based study of the impact of substance use disorders on the overall survival of psychiatric inpatients.
- Authors: Steingrímsson S, Sigurdsson MI, Aspelund T, Sigfússon S, Magnússon A
- Issue date: 2016
- Comorbidity and temporal ordering of alcohol use disorders and other psychiatric disorders: results from a Danish register-based study.
- Authors: Flensborg-Madsen T, Mortensen EL, Knop J, Becker U, Sher L, Grønbaek M
- Issue date: 2009 Jul-Aug
- Gender and psychiatric diagnosis: a 5-year retrospective study in a Nigerian Federal Medical Centre.
- Authors: Agbir TM, Oyigeya M, Audu M, Dapap DD, Goar SG
- Issue date: 2010 Oct-Dec
- Substance use at admission to an acute psychiatric department.
- Authors: Fløvig JC, Vaaler AE, Morken G
- Issue date: 2009
- Does comorbid substance use disorder impair recovery from major depression with SSRI treatment? An analysis of the STAR*D level one treatment outcomes.
- Authors: Davis LL, Wisniewski SR, Howland RH, Trivedi MH, Husain MM, Fava M, McGrath PJ, Balasubramani GK, Warden D, Rush AJ
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 1