Validity of Type D personality in Iceland: association with disease severity and risk markers in cardiac patients.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Karlsson, Hrobjartur D
Olason, Daniel T
Sijbrands, Eric J
Pedersen, Susanne S
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Behav Med 2012, 35(2):155-66
AbstractType D personality has been associated with poor prognosis in cardiac patients. This study investigated the validity of the Type D construct in Iceland and its association with disease severity and health-related risk markers in cardiac patients. A sample of 1,452 cardiac patients completed the Type D scale (DS14), and a subgroup of 161 patients completed measurements for the five-factor model of personality, emotional control, anxiety, depression, stress and lifestyle factors. The Icelandic DS14 had good psychometric properties and its construct validity was confirmed. Prevalence of Type D was 26-29%, and assessment of Type D personality was not confounded by severity of underlying coronary artery disease. Regarding risk markers, Type D patients reported more psychopharmacological medication use and smoking, but frequency of previous mental problems was similar across groups. Type D is a valid personality construct in Iceland, and is associated with health-related risk markers, but not cardiac disease severity.
DescriptionTo access publisher's full text version of this article. Please click on the hyperlink in Additional Links field.
RightsArchived with thanks to Journal of behavioral medicine
- Type D personality in Russian patients with cardiovascular disease: validity of the Russian DS14 (DS14-RU).
- Authors: Pushkarev G, Denollet J, Kuznetsov V, Spek V, Yaroslavskaya E
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 2
- Validating the Type D personality construct in Chinese patients with coronary heart disease.
- Authors: Yu DS, Thompson DR, Yu CM, Pedersen SS, Denollet J
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Type D personality is associated with impaired psychological status and unhealthy lifestyle in Icelandic cardiac patients: a cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Svansdottir E, van den Broek KC, Karlsson HD, Gudnason T, Denollet J
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 18
- The validity of the Type D construct and its assessment in Taiwan.
- Authors: Weng CY, Denollet J, Lin CL, Lin TK, Wang WC, Lin JJ, Wong SS, Mols F
- Issue date: 2013 Feb 4
- Increased anxiety and depression in Danish cardiac patients with a type D personality: cross-validation of the Type D Scale (DS14).
- Authors: Spindler H, Kruse C, Zwisler AD, Pedersen SS
- Issue date: 2009